• CPFMarketPlace is now a read-only archive for reference. New registrations and creating new posts and threads have been disabled.
• The Manufacturer's and Dealer's Corners have been moved to the Commercial Corner on CandlePowerForums.com.
• Want To Sell (WTS) and other sales threads will now be listed at The CPF Mall
• Want To Buy (WTB) and Want To Trade (WTT) will be listed in a specific forum in the General MarketPlace on CandlePowerForums.com.
• Additional information regarding these changes can be found in the Administrative Announcements forum on CandlePowerForums.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: SIGNUP HAS ENDED - Pass Around/Giveaway-Specialized Flux Headlight and Taillight

Brian, you're a wildman . Great stuff, again! Hey, one thing that's a bit hard to decipher, for instance in the video in post #28, is what level we are seeing for the Flux Headlights coming at us. Is that low beam low power, low beam high power, or high beam low power, or high beam high power? I would have expected the high power setting to appear quite a bit brighter.

Also, and I'm not trying to nitpik, but I'm trying to understand why the Flux taillight doesn't appear brighter, but what height did you have the camera when shooting that video in post #28. It appears to be kind of a low height, and I know the Flux Taillight has a more focused beam, so just wondering if that might have come into play.

Anyway, your original taillight setup rocks, and by the way...... I LOVED the music you chose for those videos. Exceptional.

Thanks again, Brian, for all the great photos and video. I couldn't have asked for anybody better to test these lights!

Default Re: SIGNUP HAS ENDED - Pass Around/Giveaway-Specialized Flux Headlight and Taillight

That's a good review, BMC. Are you in Germany? You mentioned that in one of your posts.

~D

Unenlightened

I decided to compare my twin XMLs with the snoots removed (video coming). I appear to have over-tamed them. I did a down the driveway shot and could not believe that what I saw and what the phone saw differed so much.

I am thinking the hot spot backed the cameras exposure off or my eyes adjusted because in person the twin XMLs and my helmet high beam looked much the same as the Flux Expert except the FE has a wide close splay of light with artifacts and less bright in the hotspot. That includes lighting up the back of the truck in the neighbor's driveway.

I rode some streets and a bit of the MUP and the video showed no appreciable difference. Which is good because the cold and my having set the camera up upside down messed up any useful info. The others have to do something maybe one has a better camera for this. In person, the artifacts are fine unless you are riding broken pavement when it might be harder to distinguish beam and rough spots, but i think you'd get used to it. I just loved my smoother beam in comparison, but tipped down to not blind drivers, means the helmet has middle distance duty. So the Flux Expert is a nice compromise.

I did not evaluate the remote button or see how to set up a simple Hi/low bean swap. The lights are charges and ready to pack and ship in the morning.

Two night videos to come.

Thanks Brian, I'll look forward to the videos. Just wanted to post that I got your e-mail showing that you've already sent the lights on to the Toolboxkid, who should be getting them on Monday, 2-2-15. Thanks again, Brian, for your thoughtful reviews.

Unenlightened

Home stretch now (for me but not the Flux Experts). Last night was last time playing with these. Charged and mailed by noon today. Two more static videos, one in this post and one in the next. For this set of videos I swapped the Flux Expert Taillight to the highest spot on the seat post and put the HotShot below it. I also removed the snoots from my headlights to represent normal, if very narrow beam XML lights and in recognition that I had over tamed them (learned from the Flux Expert headlight). A redesign is in on my list.

The handlebar mount means that drop bars and Bar Mitts block the side output of the headlights. This may not be an issue with typical commuter bars with hand protectors, but with drops and hand protectors it is.

The rear light output was blocked by my leg at one crank position so the light could not be seen on occasion by cross traffic when it could be critical. I suspect that is a general issue of the light as I had it as high as possible in the seat post where it would be seen best and would clear a rear trunk bag on a rack.

The Flux Expert lights would be blocked by many lower street obstacles so would be best used as part of a light system including a helmet head and taillight (be ssen over cars and smaller SUV's (on the tops of the bars my helmet headlight is almost 7' off the ground. My leg and the Bar Mitts meant I was sometimes riding Ninja crossing in front of cross traffic, except for a patch of lit pavement in front of me. The pre-production taillight did not come with a helmet mount. It would be awesome to replace the Planet Bike Turbo which is pretty good in a straight line but like the HotShot is not visible if the road has curves or hills. When the two occurred at the same time, I was riding Ninja,pt for a patch of lit pavement in front of me. It would not need a pivot mount like the Turbo does to keep it aimed.

A vertical piece of PVC as a seat post substitute might work, I guess.

Here is the video:

Unenlightened

The last installment. This is a straight road test at night. In combination with the twisty angled road in Test 1, we see that the bright narrow output lights like the 1 W Planet Bike Turbo, or the 2 W Cygolite HotShot. do perform amazingly well in a straight line. The wider output Flux Expert FET taillight shows its stuff on the twisty and hilly bits. OTOH, the HotShot without a charger was on sale for $25.The same as I paid for the Planet Bike Turbo when it came out. The FET lists at $100. So you could get four and cover more angles, have redundancy but a lot more weight. Most commuters are not weight weinies, but if you aren't careful the batteries, lights, panniers, racks, fenders, etc, they can double the weight of the bike and you have cargo above that.

The video shows that the Flux Experts would be part of an excellent lighting system when combined with helmet lights. The rear helmet light could be a second FET.

Next up: Toolboxkid.

Unenlightened

Sorry Derek. I checked back a number of times and missed that a second page was added with your post. Wondered why I heard nothing.

I definitely had high beam, (I mena you see the centre one light up!) I was trying for high power. That was by running through all settings and selecting the brightest one while peering over the handlebars. I did not memorize the sequence. On my last pass with my lights, I had to swerve towards the camera for a car cutting across the parking markings with no clear direction. So my headlights got a better angle and would look better in the comparison. Also I am driving two at a full 3 A. Runtime and the 18650 capacity would give a good estimate of how hard they are driving the XML's.

The camera was on a tripod at maximum height 15" higher than the FET and 12" above the HotShot. I think the garage video shows that the light has a fairly wide intense band that covers the camera. That is about my height in the AWD Taurus. I am lower in the Focus.

Thanks for the complements on the taillights. They aren't Dinotte 400's but they did not cost $200, either.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    Thanks Brian, I'll look forward to the videos.
    See above.

Just wanted to post that I got your e-mail showing that you've already sent the lights on to the Toolboxkid, who should be getting them on Monday, 2-2-15. Thanks again, Brian, for your thoughtful reviews.
    You are welcome. This provided me an opportunity to see my lights in comparison to a light that might be labeled state of the art. So I am paying for my private use of it n this way.

The Phillips light was tempting as a reference light, but I appeared to have it beat and I'd have to buy one just for a bit of testing. The video camera is not sensitive enough to pick up the outer 50% of the useable beams of these lights so did not do the on the helmet videos justice. To bad I forgot to try to video both sets on at the same time because the 5 XMLs in concert were like car headlights!

The helmet light in effect gives me the same range of light but it shows where I am about to go and not so much where the bike is currently pointing, so for curves and hilly road, I think that I still want a real thrower on the helmet. With the Flux Expert headlight in hi output high beam, My helmet light added only a little more reach in a straight line. It would still give that off axis aim able light and deterrent to motorists about to hook me. I have three cases where the driver stopped and avoided the accident.

On that well lit road of the last video, I could see the hot spots near the bike but little else. Partly because the pupils were not as dilated with all that ambient light, and partly that the street lights lit the road as well or better than the headlights from maybe 40-50 feet in front of the bike. I also wonder if pupil dilation is part of why the cell phone pics of the beams don't match my in person a/b comparisons. If I can see the road just as well, do I really care if it is lit a little more brightly, if my eyes just adjust it down anyway? Good enough counts.

Both headlights made the MUP a breeze. Health prevented me from testing a 30 mph descent. One of the others (younger) can do that.

Unenlightened

Is that low beam low power, low beam high power, or high beam low power, or high beam high power? I would have expected the high power setting to appear quite a bit brighter.
    After sleeping on this question, I see that there are two things going on here, that may be the cause for a less bright than expected observation. The first is that I am riding back in the right tire track of the oncoming lane so that I am at the correct lateral position relative to the camera as if the camera was the oncoming driver. If the fancy reflector is working well and my lenses narrow my beams enough, we (the camera) should not be blinded. You can see the brighter output as the light is in the straight ahead position coming off the corner of the other daytime ride-by video or the closer hit by my lights set at 45 degrees closer to the camera. In other words, if the reflector and lenses do the job that they are intended to do, then the driver should not see the lights at their brightest. Another way to think of this is that it is a test of unacceptable glare off these lights.

(An aside for me from this, is that my lights with no snoots do not appear to cause unacceptable glare! They are very close to the Flux Expert HL. I did not expect that. I set them up with the bike stationary and it seems that I set my standard for no glare too tight and not enough comparison to car high/low beams. I don't want to blind oncoming drivers, but I do want them to see me. I erred on the side of being too kind to drivers. I do get better treatment at night (and that is a general consensus among well-lit commuting cyclists). The few drivers who are not observant need a little help to clue in. Good drivers aren't usually the ones who hit us. One might even say that is mutually exclusive: good driver and hitting a cyclist, that is. A less severe snoot should be the ticket or I have seen a fresnel lens added to the to 25% of the lens.

The second factor is that the camera is stopped down -2 so that the sky is dark. This is an approximation of sunglasses that a driver would be wearing in a lowering sum condition. A related issue is that the camera is not a human eye so the relative difference between the lights is more valid than the absolute observation (a bias is involved that we can't quantify and which will differ some across people.

With my own lights and weeks, I retested several times with different settings for the camera, distance from the camera, all the combinations, but I got tired thinking of that, so opted for my best guesses based on prior testing in the places I like to test.

At one point on the MUP, it does a 90 degree left to run parallel to a street. I came around that corner with a car in the right lane of the street with the driver position about 20 feet to my right and 50-70 feet in front of me. The driver got the full lights briefly when I was near the apex of the turn, and he braked hard briefly. So yes, the center of the beams is very bright!

Thanks, Brian. The reason I had asked was that, and maybe I misunderstood this, you mentioned at the bottom of post #33 that you didn't have the remote hooked up, which means you were only accessing 4 of the 8 modes on the light. This is VERY important, because when you access the low beam option using the "S" button (either on the light or the remote), it defaults to the low power setting (200 lumens for each of the two LEDs), and the only way to access the high power setting for the low beam (400 lumens for each of the two LEDs) is to use the remote switch.

So, for any of the videos you shot using the low beam, it was only at half power.

You can see this sequence in the flow chart on page 16 of the manual. It shows, across the top, what happens when you press the "S" switch, either on the light or the remote.
    The next line down on the flow chart shows what happens, when you're in each of those main 4 modes and you press the "High Beam" button, it allows you to access the sublevel for that main mode.

So, basically, you have main 4 modes accessed using the "S" button, either on the light or the remote (shown across the top of the flow chart)
    1. High Power mode, which defaults to all 3 LEDs at full power (1200 lumens), the remote let's you switch the center High beam between off/on
    2. Low Power mode, which defaults to only 2 outer LEDs going at low power (400 lumens), the remote let's you switch the center High beam between on/off
    3. Pulse mode, which defaults to all 3 LEDs pulsing, the remote lets you switch the center High beam between pulse and constant on full power
    4. Strobe mode, which defaults to the one center LED strobing on low power, the remote let's you switch the outer 2 LEDs on/off (also strobing)

As you can see, in order to access the full capabilities of the FLUX Expert, it's vital to hook up the remote. I know that at first this may seem confusing, but in use it quickly becomes 2nd nature.
    Last edited by Derek Dean; 02-01-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Unenlightened

Thanks, Brian. The reason I had asked was that, and maybe I misunderstood this, you mentioned at the bottom of post #33 that you didn't have the remote hooked up, which means you were only accessing 4 of the 8 modes on the light. You can see this sequence in the flow chart on page 16 of the manual.
    Umm. I can't see that at all. Seems I mailed that too. Good thing the video I shared is all high beam, so high power, then. The garage wall shot, and the driveway low beam will be low power then! The Tim (The Toolman) Taylor's "More Power! mantra worked!

Enlightened

Derek/Other passaround members:

If I read correctly, I'm on schedule to receive the lights next week or the week after. I will be out of town for business both weeks, so if I'm not wrong I should ask to be skipped and for "toolboxkid" to send it directly to the winner.

Thanks for the heads up, Irv. I'll make sure that Toolboxkid get's the message.

Flashaholic

Wow!!! Finally got thru all the review!! Awesome and what a great commuter review!!
    Well mine will be embarassingly bad after all this!! :/)
    Mine will consist of banging down snowy icy trails... 2' on the ground here... Another foot prob this weekend!

Enlightened

Mr. Murphy, your light is on the way. I know you are going to love it. I'll pm you tracking details.

Unenlightened

Looking forward to your comments, toolboxkid!

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Please continue this thread over in the Group Buys & Passarounds forum on CPF now. It looks like the OP has things pretty well organized in the first post of this thread so it shouldn't be too difficult. Feel free to post links in each thread (the one on CPF and this one) for references.

Thank you.
    Mobile apps for CPF & CPFMP now available in Google Play & iTunes!
    Search for "CandlePowerForums" and "CPFMarketPlace"

Unenlightened

Nothing to add toolboxkid? What about you, MTBmurf? Did it arrive? What do you think?

Flashaholic

Hey derek... Was kinda waiting for this cpf proper transition. You wanna move this over there or u want me?
    Well i gotthe light and then it snowed and snowed and snowed... Road riding out of the question as the snow is higher than cars and no pedestrian lane... Went to my 'go-to' snow ridin spot as it fets alot of walkers.. That was a no go... But dont worry... I figured somethin out- snow blew a 'dirt track ' in my yard! Mother nature can kiss my Axx...

Toolboxkid was hurt and unsble to ride so he sent it off to me...my offer still stands toolboxkid if when ur well u wanna give the light a week tryout... U got my email

So from here we goto cpf proper derek?
    Last edited by Mtbmurf; 03-05-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Ha, well, Mtbmurf, those photos make me think that you'd be better off mounting your new lights on a sled, at least until things thaw out a bit .

Greta, thanks, I just posted a thread continuation over in the new Passaround area on CPF:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...53#post4617153

Please post all further comments in that thread.

As I mentioned there, I'd like to thank everybody for their enthusiastic participation in this project, and I'll look forward to hearing what Mtbmurf thinks of his new lights once he gets an opportunity to properly test them.

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Thank you Derek...

This thread is now closed.
    Mobile apps for CPF & CPFMP now available in Google Play & iTunes!
    Search for "CandlePowerForums" and "CPFMarketPlace"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12