Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 268
  1. #211
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    So no CST90 plans huh? They Also have the CSM360. 6000 lumen output. But from what I remember the emitter is ~$220 a piece.

    Any lux ratings of a dedomed ST90? I was looking at an olight SR90, I'm glad I remembered this existed. I think a dedomed SR90 has a lux reading of around 200,000. Similar for a Lambda. I will double check tomorrow
    Last edited by awenta; 04-09-2012 at 08:59 PM.

  2. #212
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by awenta View Post
    So no CST90 plans huh? They Also have the CSM360. 6000 lumen output. But from what I remember the emitter is ~$220 a piece.

    Any lux ratings of a dedomed ST90? I was looking at an olight SR90, I'm glad I remembered this existed. I think a dedomed SR90 has a lux reading of around 200,000. Similar for a Lambda. I will double check tomorrow
    My Dedomed SR90 was measured at 203,000 Lux at one meter.


  3. #213
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Got mine today,
    This thing is well made and very focused especially de domed.
    Feels like it could be run over by a tank it's so thick and heavy - VERY!! Well made, thank you Wayne.

    I have had a varapower 2000, the VP is half the price of the ST90 but IMO its only worth half the price as the quality of the components in these are better because this light has been built from the ground up and not just added bolt on's to an existing light - no disrespect meant to Lambda lights.

    The only slight pain is I have 8 x 18650 Callie's kustom batteries (brilliant batteries btw) and they are very tight, really too tight to use. Has anyone tried the readilasts in these?
    Last edited by Glenn7; 04-10-2012 at 06:32 AM.

  4. #214
    *Flashaholic* ElektroLumens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,188

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    Got mine today,
    This thing is well made and very focused especially de domed.
    Feels like it could be run over by a tank it's so thick and heavy - VERY!! Well made, thank you Wayne.

    I have had a varapower 2000, the VP is half the price of the ST90 but IMO its only worth half the price as the quality of the components in these are better because this light has been built from the ground up and not just added bolt on's to an existing light - no disrespect meant to Lambda lights.

    The only slight pain is I have 8 x 18650 Callie's kustom batteries (brilliant batteries btw) and they are very tight, really too tight to use. Has anyone tried the readilasts in these?
    I have another customer who uses the Callies 18650. He has a hand made original ST90. He had to send it back to me so I could bore out the body a little bigger. I could bore out a ST90 body and send it to you. Email me about it if you want to do this. I guess the Callie's Kustom 18650 is fatter than most.

    Wayne

  5. #215
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    A lot of us use the Callies, as they are really good cells...so you might want to just adjust your cell cavities across the board as practical to accommodate the current crop of 3100's, etc...and perhaps the 4100's, or whatever they come up with, down the road, etc.


  6. #216
    *Flashaholic* ElektroLumens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,188

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Teej View Post
    A lot of us use the Callies, as they are really good cells...so you might want to just adjust your cell cavities across the board as practical to accommodate the current crop of 3100's, etc...and perhaps the 4100's, or whatever they come up with, down the road, etc.

    I have to machine out the inside of the body, removing the anodizing. It's best not to do this unless needed. In the future, I can increase the I.D. to accomodate the fatter batteries. The anodizing is HAIII hard anodizing, and is a very good protection on the inside. Cell cavities on other products will accomodate the Callie's.

    Wayne

  7. #217

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Another solution that does not require battery tube modification (especially since all of the batteries are in parallel) is to remove the plastic label/wrapper from the battery. I had to do this on another piece of equipment, and it solved the problem of too tight of a fit.

    Donald1800
    Last edited by Donald1800; 04-10-2012 at 11:06 AM.

  8. #218
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Teej View Post
    My Dedomed SR90 was measured at 203,000 Lux at one meter.

    That's what I was referring to. Incredible improvement. I was wondering if there was a lux reading for a dedomed ST90.

    I was planning on using Callies too. Are you guys using button tops or flat tops?

  9. #219
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post
    Another solution that does not require battery tube modification (especially since all of the batteries are in parallel) is to remove the plastic label/wrapper from the battery. I had to do this on another piece of equipment, and it solved the problem of too tight of a fit.

    Donald1800
    I did take the stickers off, it helped a little - I read somewhere that they were double wraped so I tried to unwrap one of the black outer covering but it uncovered the pcb silver strip and the button top would come off, so no go.

    My Callie's are 3100's - does anyone have both these and redilast 3100's that could compare size differences? I don't want to buy more and have the same problem
    Or maybe I should just go with the AW 2900's

  10. #220

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Glenn7:
    Sorry 'bout that. I forgot that you were using protected cells. My previous tightness problem was also with a high capacity NiMh cell which doesn't need protection, so was not relevant to your problem. Again, sorry.

    Donald1800

  11. #221
    Flashaholic HKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    My Callie's are 3100's - does anyone have both these and redilast 3100's that could compare size differences? I don't want to buy more and have the same problem
    Or maybe I should just go with the AW 2900's
    You can always check my battery test/comparison, it includes the diameter and length of many different 18650 batteries.

  12. #222
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Cheers buddy - looking now - thanks for your time HKJ

  13. #223
    Enlightened HotWire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    I just got mine today! The EL ST90 S&R has exceeded my expectations. I'm using Redilast 3100 mAh batteries which fit fine. AWs fit too. I have some Callie's Kustom 2250 mAh high current cells which fit and work as well. Nice work, Wayne! A+++

  14. #224
    *Flashaholic* ElektroLumens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,188

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    I just received a red SST-90 LED, I'm curious to see what kind of beam it projects in the ST90 flashlight. According to specs at 6.3A (2.2V) it should be around 1200 to 1300 lumens. Good for hunting hogs I hear. Red or green can be used, they can see the light, but seem to not be spooked by it as much as with white light.

    Wayne

  15. #225
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Being new to the forums, and fairly new to being a flashaholic, I stumbled onto this thread, and then to Wayne's website. Good God, those are some hugely impressive flashlights, and I can see at least one of the EDC's being added to my collection. The ST90 would be a blast to own, I just can't think of what "normal" use I'd have for it!

  16. #226
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by HotWire View Post
    I just got mine today! The EL ST90 S&R has exceeded my expectations. I'm using Redilast 3100 mAh batteries which fit fine. AWs fit too. I have some Callie's Kustom 2250 mAh high current cells which fit and work as well. Nice work, Wayne! A+++
    Any Callie's 3100 to try?

  17. #227
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Thanks to HKJ's battery guide I just ordered some 3100 batteries from inti-outdoor - suppose't to be one of the better current batteries for hi current drain and they are a good price (with free shipping) thinner than Callie's and redilasts, as good but cheaper.

  18. #228
    Enlightened HotWire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by awenta View Post
    Any Callie's 3100 to try?
    I don't have any Callie's 3100s. Sorry.

  19. #229
    Enlightened HotWire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Callie's Kustom indicates their high-amperage cells are 18.2mm in diameter. The claim 18.7mm for their 18650 flat top cells. I just ordered some. If they don't work in the ST90 I have (many) other lights they will fit.

  20. #230
    *Flashaholic* ElektroLumens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,188

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    Thanks to HKJ's battery guide I just ordered some 3100 batteries from inti-outdoor - suppose't to be one of the better current batteries for hi current drain and they are a good price (with free shipping) thinner than Callie's and redilasts, as good but cheaper.
    The ST90 draws about 9 amps, which is high current, but it is supplied by four 18650 in parallel, so the current draw per battery is not high, only 2.25A each battery. High current drain batteries are not required, but I do recommend using batteries of at least 1.5c discharge rate.

    Wayne

  21. #231
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    So thats only .73c on 3100mah batteries. Not bad. And calllies are rated for 2c from what I remember.

    Looking forward to hearing about the callies, thanks HotWire! I was going to do the same as you did but I dont have an ST90 yet

  22. #232
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    My thoughts were if I get the best affordable batteries, run time would be longer cooler brighter and have better regulation/discharge curve.
    But your saying that because all 4 batteries are run in parallel they are not getting stressed as would one or two in most lights - so in theory I could buy any quality/brand battery so long as they could handle 2.5amp or 1.5c and have the same capacity, they would run as bright and give the same runtime?
    So I could have just bought xxxxxxfire and I wouldn't know any difference...... I just thought there was a little more to the quality of battery chemistry especially over time.
    Last edited by Glenn7; 04-13-2012 at 11:55 AM.

  23. #233
    *Flashaholic* ElektroLumens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,188

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    My thoughts were if I get the best affordable batteries, run time would be longer cooler brighter and have better regulation/discharge curve.
    But your saying that because all 4 batteries are run in parallel they are not getting stressed as would one or two in most lights - so in theory I could buy any quality/brand battery so long as they could handle 2.5amp or 1.5c and have the same capacity, they would run as bright and give the same runtime?
    So I could have just bought xxxxxxfire and I wouldn't know any difference...... I just thought there was a little more to the quality of battery chemistry especially over time.
    Probably the better batteries will perform better, last longer. You get what you pay for. Often times the less expensive brands do not meet the claimed power rating.

    A less load on the battery means less internal resistance and more efficient performance, which should equal longer run time. A battery with higher discharge capacity should give better performance.

    Wayne

  24. #234
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    My thoughts were if I get the best affordable batteries, run time would be longer cooler brighter and have better regulation/discharge curve.
    But your saying that because all 4 batteries are run in parallel they are not getting stressed as would one or two in most lights - so in theory I could buy any quality/brand battery so long as they could handle 2.5amp or 1.5c and have the same capacity, they would run as bright and give the same runtime?
    So I could have just bought xxxxxxfire and I wouldn't know any difference...... I just thought there was a little more to the quality of battery chemistry especially over time.

    Cheap batteries like to go under stress. It's not worth it for a few bucks. They're also usually wasted recycled laptop batteries. Don't have to say too much, it's covered every other day in the batteries section of CPF proper.

  25. #235
    *Flashaholic* ElektroLumens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,188

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Cable Guy View Post
    Being new to the forums, and fairly new to being a flashaholic, I stumbled onto this thread, and then to Wayne's website. Good God, those are some hugely impressive flashlights, and I can see at least one of the EDC's being added to my collection. The ST90 would be a blast to own, I just can't think of what "normal" use I'd have for it!
    If you're looking for normal, you came to the wrong place.

    Wayne

  26. #236
    *Flashaholic* ElektroLumens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,188

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Just mounted a SST-90 red LED into a ST90 Search & Rescue flashlight. Just did this out of curiosity. I measure 160,000+ lux at 1 meter. This is not de-domed. Pretty amazing to see a red light this bright. Not sure what someone would do with this, except perhaps go hunting with it for varmints (in places it's legal to do so, of course).

    Wayne

  27. #237
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    That's incredible. Any beam shots?

  28. #238
    *Flashaholic* ElektroLumens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,188

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by awenta View Post
    That's incredible. Any beam shots?
    No, not yet. In a photo, it just looks same as white. The beam in not visible in the air like white it, and things do not light up the same, as our eyes cannot see red very well. I plan on getting green and blue. Our eyes sight peaks in the green part of the light spectrum, and we can see blue pretty good too.

    Wayne

  29. #239
    Enlightened HotWire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    I got my Callie's Kustom batteries today. The diameter is a little too large to fit in the battery compartment. AW & Redilast batteries work. Mine are all flat tops.

  30. #240
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Elektro Lumens ST90 Search and Rescue 2200 Lumen Flashlight

    Hi gang, thought I would introduce myself here as this is where I’ll be hanging out. I’ve been in the aerospace industry for 30 years and looking forward to retiring in about 2 more. I guess you could say I finally see that light at the end of the tunnel ... and that would be a ST90 S&R Extreme! I’ve always been a gadget guy, and bigger is usually better - that’s why I jumped on a 7D Mag-Lite back in the 80’s, on sale due to being discontinued by Mag-Lite, couldn't pass it up even though I didn't need it. That light has served me well for about 30 years, 5% of the time impressing my friends with the spot I could throw on my neighbor’s fence. Just recently on a different forum a member posted his new toy – the Big Bruiser. This triggered my usual self-centered response … GADGET! GADGET! GADGET!

    Fast forward, I’m now well acquainted with the Elektro Lumens website, have researched high-end LED and HID flashlights, and have had some great dialogue with Wayne via email. Bottom line, I will be placing an order for Wayne’s most awesome ST90 S&R Extreme in the next week or so. In all my looking and digging, nothing comes remotely close in terms of this light's bang for the buck. The materials used in this light and craftsmanship of build are at total odds to its' cost, a true deal of the century ... but you all already know this.

    Anyway, I’m looking forward to meeting the crew here and sharing some of those unique “spot light” moments once I’m up & running!

    Please note your reference to using a flashlight as a weapon has been removed - Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 04-20-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •