PK Design Lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unenlightened

Default Disc Golf "frisbee Golf"

Well I saw the hackey sack thread and thought that reminds me of playing disc golf.

Haven't done that in years.

Anyone in here play ?

Todd

Default Re: Disc Golf "frisbee Golf"

There's a disc golf course being set up here at the hot springs right now. From what I've heard it'll be an open course, but we'll be renting discs. I preferred the idea that some of us had of just selling discs outright and not messing around with rentals, but for now we've been overruled.

Can't wait to give it a try and also look forward to some experienced players telling us which discs to buy for ourselves.
    コイン矢の如し

Flashaholic*

I do occasionally at the course down the street. Still fairly new to it, but it gives me a good reason to some walking in.

Just like regular golf, it's 80% in your head. Humbling to see some young gal throw it further with less (apparent)effort.

we have many frisbee golf courses here but I prefer to freestyle myself as the "frisbees" used for golf are more like throwing a discus than floating a frisbee to drop right into someone's hands from 50 feet away.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

I just played the course at Rutgers New Brunswick two weeks ago for the first time in about 20 years. We used to play an object course there before the pole-holes were put in. Although I agree with Lynx that throwing to someone is more appealing than throwing at something, I still get plenty of enjoyment playing disc golf.

Quote Originally Posted by LED_Thrift View Post
    I just played the course at Rutgers New Brunswick two weeks ago for the first time in about 20 years. We used to play an object course there before the pole-holes were put in. Although I agree with Lynx that throwing to someone is more appealing than throwing at something, I still get plenty of enjoyment playing disc golf.
    I picked up an LED lit frisbee from walgreens years back that I have never got to use. I need a frisbee flashaholic in this city lol
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Unenlightened

I have played it a few times, down the street is a giant bar/spa/hotel that has a free course. Its loads of fun. Some people take it way to seriously! We seen this one guy who had like 20 Frisbee's... Excuse me flying discs in a bag like a freaking golf bag

We have a course here in CT that I play with my sons often. Love the sport.

Flashaholic

Played all the time in college and for a few years thereafter. There is a challenging course just around the corner from my work, but I rarely play anymore. I could stand to get the exercise in since it's a long course and in the StL heat you can certainly build up a sweat pretty easily. I still have my discs. I have two, a driver and a putter. Found the putter in the woods at a course I played frequently in Ohio. They serve my abilities just fine.

Unenlightened

There is a course near me and I have been wanting to try it. I think I would like it but I am not so sure that I am willing to run out and buy discs.

Flashaholic*

Control your investment initially, just buy one or two. I would get a mid-range and maybe a putter to start.

Unenlightened

I've played frisbee golf a couple times. I went camping with a couple friends one time and we actually designed and setup our own frisbee golf course.

Unenlightened

I played a lot in college. Fun drinking in a park playing some frisbee golf. We would act like loud, obnoxious idiots. There is a course down the street from where I currently live and I see the same college crowd out there drinking and having a good time.. but I can't help shake my head and think to myself "oh you kids have no idea"

I try to play at least once a week but the heat has been a little silly lately.

Unenlightened

I play every now and again...Nice to do something different and by no means am I a pro, I dont have the "driving" disc, or the "putting" disc...Heck I use a plain 'ole frisbee, lol

Enlightened

We skipped many Fridays of high school senior year to play disc golf. That was 16 years ago. I still have my discs but have probably not played in over 12 years. In our area there are about 8 local courses, so we have many choices. I have even played a course down at the beach which was all sand dunes. Fun stuff.

Unenlightened

Just like regular golf, start with something that can do anything, a good approach disc is like a 7 iron, you can drive, approach, chip, putt, basically anything. In ball golf, I've played entire rounds with nothing more than a 7 iron and a putter (even out of the sand).

Enlightened

I love disc golfing. We use to go all the time when i was living in stevens point attending college. The bad thing was every other college student would be out at the 18 hole course as well. My favorite were the groups with 15+ people that wouldn't let you go around. My solution was to play after dark since the course never closed. My fenix tk40 worked perfect for lightening up the holes. Good times.

Unenlightened

We have one great course here, in Pittsburgh, that i know of. I've only ever played with my wife who is not as big of a fan as I am. I slice/hook those freaking discs everywhere until i figured out that I throw the putter best; so, I'm the guy on the course that drives and puts with the same piece and my bag only has putters in it.

Unenlightened

We have courses starting to show up in my area and it looks fun. What kind of costs are involved to get started on a minimal basis?

A starter set of 3 discs at Sports Authority is less than $25 I think. Cheap sport.

Edit: this is the one I bought http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...:referralID=NA
    Last edited by bltkmt; 11-28-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Flashaholic*

Yeah, it is fairly cheap and encourages some walking.

It can be humbling too, when a 14yo gal throws it 50' past your massive grunting effort.

There are some good instructional sites with videos. Worth checking out...

Unenlightened

I have always wanted to try frisbee golf, so i tried it the other day with my family. Man people get intense with it. They have like 20 different frisbees, they made my family, who all shared one frisbee, look so newb hahha. But its okay we were hahaha.

Unenlightened

We have a great course here in Kennewick, wa. And the weather to play pretty much year round. You are right a total different deal than tossing in the park. And people do get intense, but then it is winning and loosing on the course. I just have a few frisbee's and go with them may add more later.

I play occasionally. There are 3 courses where I grew up and at least one where I go to school. Its a lot of fun when its just you and your friends and not a lot of people trying to "play through" much like real golf.

Great game. Most frisbee games are great games.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    A starter set of 3 discs at Sports Authority is less than $25 I think. Cheap sport.

Edit: this is the one I bought http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...:referralID=NA
    This is a good deal, I have used the shark for years. The putter and the shark are worth 25.00.

Enlightened

one of the cheapest hobbies i've ever gotten into... certainly a lot cheaper than my current one, competitive shooting.

i used to play all the time, i still have about 50 discs and 2 nice bags. this thread may have just motivated me to get off my lazy butt and go sling some discs, it's a beautiful day... thanks guys

Unenlightened

Cheap and great exercise.

Enlightened

Played long ago like many but recently picked it up again. Fun and good exercise if you run from shot to shot!

Unenlightened

I used to play all the time but the Texas heat has been brutal lately. I haven't been out in years to play some disc golf.