Maxpedition - Pouches
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: more neutral tint lights please.

Dang! It's a good thing I ordered mine right away instead of waiting for Friday! I'm excited!

Flashaholic

Post Re: more neutral tint lights please.

Quote Originally Posted by calipsoii View Post
    Eh, while we're throwing pennies in the fountain, screw the XP-G R4 and bring back the "outdoor white" XR-E that the Fenix TK20 uses. Of my dozens of neutral lights, nothing touches this emitter in color rendering and incandescent-like tint.
    While we are hunting for some shooting stars, why stop there? Why not wish that they would use high cri leds? I mean, TiC provided some nice comparison pics, but I have to admit, that I am struggling to see any significant rendering difference in them. Of course, they have different tint (or tone, or white balance, or color of the light). But when it comes to - let's say - how great is the color difference between green leaves and brown branches, I don't see any clear winner or looser.

If you compare the XP-G/XP-E emission curves in the technical sheets, you can see that they all are pretty much missing the green wavelengths. Having warmer tint just means less 450nm blue and more yellow and red. To get more green (which happens to be quite common color in nature), you have to choose a high cri led.

Flashaholic*

More up on their site including a 2AA regular. If it was tactical I would probably beg a plea with the wife to buy one.

If the info is from the old run then I guess we just have to wait and see.
    I see they added a Preon II in warm white, I'd be all over that but I already have one. Still, good to see!

Yes, I have a few regulars. A tactical may be nice. BTW, the quarks are not heavily glued (the Ti ones are a bit tougher) so they are not that hard to mod to neutral... All mine are modded.

Preons, minis, and maybe turbos, those are glued, really tight... (Although I have seen a modded Turbo, so maybe not on that one).

Quote Originally Posted by tbenedict View Post
    More up on their site including a 2AA regular. If it was tactical I would probably beg a plea with the wife to buy one.
    That 2AA is the one I've been waiting on. It's 4 hours after your post and it's gone already, missed it again. This is getting old, quickly.
    Quarks - 123 MiNi NW, 123x2 NW, AA CW (x2), 123 MiNi CW (x2), SS Revo / Surefire P6 18650 MC-E & P6 w/ Nailbender SST50, Winelight ll w/ Lumens Factory 350 IMR, Smini NW XP-G R4 18650
    Cool White sucks for outdoors. I will have no more of them.

Gotta feel for all of you guys that miss the neutrals you like. I got really lucky that I was able to snatch up the 123x2 Regular, exactly what I wanted. I hope a Neutral Revo SS shows up, but that is probably just a dream (and would probably be gone before I could snatch it up!)

the 123*2 regular and tacticals that were sold out earlier are back up in stock right now...

Nice! I really do hope to see even more models pop up in the next few days.

Order placed for neutral 123^2 tactical. Thanks for the heads up kadinh!
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness.
    But darkness has it's beauty...
    Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ekengle View Post
    That 2AA is the one I've been waiting on. It's 4 hours after your post and it's gone already, missed it again. This is getting old, quickly.
    Sorry to hear that bud. I thought about one, but have the XPE Neutral in the regular interface and thought I would hold off for a tactical so I can lego.

Quote Originally Posted by tbenedict View Post
    Sorry to hear that bud. I thought about one, but have the XPE Neutral in the regular interface and thought I would hold off for a tactical so I can lego.
    That's okay. I've been wanting a low voltage head to replace the CW on my AA since I found out how nice and usefull the tint is on the Quark NW's. I have a NW MiNi 123 (too small for general farm use) and a NW 123x2 (too short of a run time with 16340's and I don't want to spend the $$ on primarys since I have rechargables). My EDC light is my regular AA. I did put the 123x2 head on the single AA body and ran a 14500 for a while. That came to a stop when I was leaving a store at night and the light went dark in the parking lot. I went back inside and bought a small pack of AA to drop in since I still had much to do before I could go home for the night. Popped one in and nothing, not even moonlight. This was expected so no great shock, just a pain in the butt.

As of last night and today I've ordered an E01 to sit in my pocket all the time as a backup and an 18650 body from Going Gear for better runtime. I also have an S-mini 18650 XP-G R4 NW on order as well. My low voltage Quark NW head is going to wait until next batch, I can't sit on the 4sevens site hitting refresh until I get one, too many things to get done. Unless someone here has one they want to sell me...
    Quarks - 123 MiNi NW, 123x2 NW, AA CW (x2), 123 MiNi CW (x2), SS Revo / Surefire P6 18650 MC-E & P6 w/ Nailbender SST50, Winelight ll w/ Lumens Factory 350 IMR, Smini NW XP-G R4 18650
    Cool White sucks for outdoors. I will have no more of them.

Flashaholic*

Yeah, I see so many great comments on the tint of the XPG neutral run, but part of me says no rush, XML neutrals will be out in a year or so and know that 4Sevens will take care of us. I guess I'm not addicted enough/don't have the free funds yet.

Just received my 123x2 Neutral. I already had an S2, and when I compared the two I gave my dad the S2 version. No comparison. Yes, the S2 is brighter, but the neutral is MUCH nicer!

Flashaholic

I hope that there will be another run of Preon REVO NW. Because I hate green .
    Sorry for my bad English.

Unenlightened

i don't buy anything else, but neutral white anymore.

Recently picked up a Xeno G42 NW thrower. It's a really nice light! Just ordered a G10 NW as well.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

I've been using my NW 123*2 quark and my AA regular quark S2 (with a 14500 li-ion cell) and I gotta say that I like both of them. I like having a different tint of light for different tasks and depending on my mood. I'm glad I was able to pick one up while they were still available.

And I REALLY like having the deep carry clip on both of them and how they are almost identical in size! Thanks David for all your hard work and making some SWEET lights!

Enlightened

I think part of the reason for the commonality of blue-tinted LEDs has to do with the way that white LEDs are made. (I'm sure most people on CPF probably know this but just in case.)

They are just a blue LED with a phosphor coating that absorbs some of the blue light and reemits it in other colors. Unfortunately some of the efficiency is lost in the process. The more light that is converted (eg warmer colors), the more is wasted. The process of mixing and applying the phosphors isn't perfect either and this variability results in your different color bins.

Personally, I wish we would see manufacturers starting to use quantum dots on their LEDs.

Unenlightened

I'm curious, why is the quark aa2 neutral not being produced anymore? is it going to be mass produced in some amount of time in the future? this is a little confusing
    -g

Quote Originally Posted by gramps416 View Post
    I'm curious, why is the quark aa2 neutral not being produced anymore? is it going to be mass produced in some amount of time in the future? this is a little confusing
    -g
    All the neutral tint lights have been limited runs - basically small/medium sized batches that aren't necessarily re-stocked once gone. There are some various NW lights that have been coming up on the 4Sevens store lately that they must have found kicking around to sell, but there's not currently really a full "batch" available... just keep your eye out for future neutral runs if you're interested.

Flashaholic

I have to say, it's rather ironic to me to read all this love for neutral/warm tints versus the cool whites, in light (har!) of all the comments about "dim yellow" incans in the LED forum over the years (they still pop up occasionally, usually in " flashaholic" stories about impressing people who have never known anything beyond incan Maglites.)

I myself remain partial to pure whites. However, in my experience, this usually means the warmest end of the cool white band, sub 5500K, and includes the high end of the neutral zone (5x and lower). I find that my favorites among my current lights are my NW Preon (4x emitter IIRC) and my 5B XR-E Dereelight, and on the high side, a smattering of lights that look like 5700K to my eye, in comparison to the 5000K CFL's in my office. On the other hand, those lights going past 6500K and often sporting an even bluer spill, don't appeal to me as much.

At some point I'm going to look into trying to hit that 5000k mark in a nailbender P60 module.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuke View Post
    At some point I'm going to look into trying to hit that 5000k mark in a nailbender P60 module.
    If he has the 4500 SST-50 it's a real winner. Neutral to warm for me as well.

Also - comment from the first page on cool whites working well indoors - if there is NO ambient light then there is no depth perception from a cool white. My experience inside a shut down facility - I was running a cool white that day, fortunately my superintendant had his magcharger. That may also be part of another post from the first page where the op had his neutral bikelight and the girlfriend was having issues with the cool light.
    nfetterly

FYI, high cri (90min.) warm xp-g's are now available (i've seen them listed in a well known Australian components store)
    i wish 4sevens was the first manufacturer of high-cri affordable pocket lights !

Quote Originally Posted by TiC View Post
    FYI, high cri (90min.) warm xp-g's are now available (i've seen them listed in a well known Australian components store)
    i wish 4sevens was the first manufacturer of high-cri affordable pocket lights !
    Thanks for the tip! I just placed an order

I also wish a manufacturer would bring a high CRI light to market, but if I can get the components.....why wait???
    People ask me why I always carry a flashlight......until they need one.

Quote Originally Posted by TiC View Post
    I'd love to have them available in a 6x tint in one of Henry's new Rotary's!
    コイン矢の如し

Flashaholic*

Maybe they will have more. There seems to be really nothing coming out lately. Thus maybe a neutral delay?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    Maybe they will have more. There seems to be really nothing coming out lately. Thus maybe a neutral delay?
    Well, Cree put out the updated pdf that shows neutral & warm xm-l's one week ago. So hopefully they will ship in 2-4 months.
    A T5 bin 4D looks real nice.

_

Quarks are my favorite lights, and I'm wanting to get a couple more in NW when they come available. Since CPF proper is down I'll ask my question here....What temperature range is the warm tint, what temp range is neutral, & what temp range is cool?