4 Sevens
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Flashaholic

Thumbs up Re: more neutral tint lights please.

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    With 4sevens' and now Olight's close working relationship with Cree, if anyone is to come up with lights using the latest high CRI from Cree, it would be David. That's my guess.
    High CRI neutral white would be my number one choice, too. I hope someone begins to offer that soon. It is a pity that going to neutral will decrease the lumen power, and going to high cri will decrease it even further (my ceiling lights are high CRI (97) neutral white, too ). Relatively low lumen efficiency makes it less appealing to manufacturers.

Anyway, my guess is that it won't be happening with XP-E HEW. As far as I know, it is a led with a considerable risk of inconsistent beam color/wb, due to the cheaper manufacturing technology. I doubt that any high quality manufacturer would use that kind of led in production.

Default Re: more neutral tint lights please.

Hopefully David will do another run soon, as it looks as though his old stock is almost gone.

Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    Hopefully David will do another run soon, as it looks as though his old stock is almost gone.
    I hope so too. I don't have much use for anymore cool whites and probably won't buy another one unless it's really something special.
    Quarks - 123 MiNi NW, 123x2 NW, AA CW (x2), 123 MiNi CW (x2), SS Revo / Surefire P6 18650 MC-E & P6 w/ Nailbender SST50, Winelight ll w/ Lumens Factory 350 IMR, Smini NW XP-G R4 18650
    Cool White sucks for outdoors. I will have no more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ekengle View Post
    I hope so too. I don't have much use for anymore cool whites and probably won't buy another one unless it's really something special.
    Same here.

Unenlightened

a neutral white Ti quark 123 would be perfect.

do want!

I'll chime in to the Neutral-Lovers-Choral.

I have a neutral Mini CR2, Mini 123, Revo and AA tactical. And guess what - I absolutely LOVE all of them. I'd certainly buy more if they would become availlable.

Particularly I would like to have another run of neutral Revos. This light is simply spectacular. And as soon as another run comes out I'll pull the trigger on some more for my family.

The only application where I think cool white has its justification is a thrower like the Quark Turbo or Maelstrom. If I want distance lighting then colour rendition looses importance and raw power is needed.

So David, if you plan more neutrals, count me in.

Lucciola

Received my Quark RGB neutral a few days ago. While the light doesn't put out much in the way of white light, what it does put out is a feast for my eyes. Everything looks so much better with neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by ekengle View Post
    I don't have much use for anymore cool whites and probably won't buy another one unless it's really something special.
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    Same here.
    agreed, but even something special loses any chance of purchase, unless i want to bother to mod it or have it modded to neutral, there is zero chance i will buy it.

i have 2 mini CR2s, 2 mini AAs, a mini 123, a Ti mini 123, a RGB (awesome!), and a tactical AA2 (currently sporting a 123 body) - all neutral white. all great lights.

it seems to me that the neutral white preference is growing. i could be wrong. i have a bias and probably notice neutral white talk more, but it still seems like the demand is growing.
    i like flashlights.

Quote Originally Posted by burntoshine View Post
    agreed, but even something special loses any chance of purchase, unless i want to bother to mod it or have it modded to neutral, there is zero chance i will buy it.
    By "something special" I mean like the XM18, or the little brother version that has the battery that clips on the belt. Having a large farm with animals and predators as well, I actually have a use for such a light for more than a novilty reason. I really don't even want something as small as the S12 anymore unless it's neutral, the XM18 it won't matter.

There is at least one light in every room and vehicle. With me at any point in time is at least one knife, one pistol, a phone and 2 lights. These are the everyday lights that MUST be neutral for me to carry.
    Quarks - 123 MiNi NW, 123x2 NW, AA CW (x2), 123 MiNi CW (x2), SS Revo / Surefire P6 18650 MC-E & P6 w/ Nailbender SST50, Winelight ll w/ Lumens Factory 350 IMR, Smini NW XP-G R4 18650

i just received an xp-e neutral 123 tac' from 4sevens.Poland and really like it !
    it was worth the expense : both tint and beam are perfect, maybe a little bit too tight spot for close-up works, but i'll use the warm xp-g for that !

i'm not sure i'll longer use cool whites for edc.

Enlightened

Agreed! More neutrals and warms, please. They are the best. I prefer warms with more of a yellow tint than pink.

Unenlightened

actually, forget the neutrals, when are the high cri's coming out?!

Flashaholic

would really like a neutral or high cri titanium head for my preon. since i got my zl h51w, the cool tint on my preon is noticeable, in a unpleasant way.

Quote Originally Posted by faco View Post
    I would buy a (Preon 2 in Titanium) instantly if it had a Neutral/Warm Tint. I keep checking the site to see if they will offer it but no luck
    I was hoping for the same. I'm another neutral believer. I think if more people tried neutral they'd like it. And to be honest I think neutral is catching on. Didn't Fenix make some neutral lights?

David - Have you considered beamshots of trees, outdoors, etc. of neutral versus cool white on 4sevens.com? That might help sell them to the casual flashlight buyer.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by swrdply400mrelay View Post
    David - Have you considered beamshots of trees, outdoors, etc. of neutral versus cool white on 4sevens.com? That might help sell them to the casual flashlight buyer.
    Unfortunately, he could sell them on neutral but then have nothing to actually sell to them

Enlightened

a giant +1 to most everything in this post! I probably will never buy anything but neutral or warm again. And to be even more picky I also like the "yellow" tints over the ones more "pink." I can't remember what bins look more yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams of Torches View Post
    a giant +1 to most everything in this post! I probably will never buy anything but neutral or warm again. And to be even more picky I also like the "yellow" tints over the ones more "pink." I can't remember what bins look more yellow.
    IMO the nicest warm tints are the 7B/7C tints, they have that incandescent look. Even though the WW increase in CRI is marginal It is a worthwhile trade for output IMO. I can't wait for the true high CRI lights though!! I will most likely buy every stinkin high CRI light to hit the market for at least a year
    People ask me why I always carry a flashlight......until they need one.

Never thought I'd say it-since I go for max lumens, but when I built my XPG triples I did one warm and one neutral. Love the neutral to death! Outside I can tell my chocolate Lab is chocolate. With cool she looks grayed out and flat. And the neutrals are a lot easier on the eyes in the snow.

Rich

Posted this video a few months ago over in CPF proper, for those of you that missed it, here it is again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TZhNn4Wkww (comparison of a Quark 123 R5 and an old HDS U60 modded with a SSC P4 S42182 "High CRI" (Ra=93)).

All I can say is .. once you saw a high CRI LED in action, you cannot ever go back to cold white. They're really that bad in comparison.
    And from what I've heard the neutral XP-Gs are a lot more on the SSC P4 side than on the cold-white side.

EDIT: A few more still frames from the video showing the high CRI goodness:

Last edited by Connor; 02-04-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Quote Originally Posted by clg0159 View Post
    IMO the nicest warm tints are the 7B/7C tints, they have that incandescent look.
    I have a warm white Quark which is absolutely perfect for indoor use or as "friendly" tent lantern in combination with a Fenix camping lampshade. However for general use I prefer neutral over warm. IMHO the nicest tint is 5A which is used in my Zebralight H501w. For me this is the most pleasant and useful tint.

My Quark Neutral has AFAIK an R4 LED but I don't know which tint it has. It looks more greenish than the 5A of my Zebralight which is more on the pinkish side.

Lucciola

Quote Originally Posted by clg0159 View Post
    IMO the nicest warm tints are the 7B/7C tints, they have that incandescent look. Even though the WW increase in CRI is marginal It is a worthwhile trade for output IMO. I can't wait for the true high CRI lights though!! I will most likely buy every stinkin high CRI light to hit the market for at least a year
    Warms my heart to see this post - I love the 6x and 7x tints which I have in my Draco and MiNi's. Will be nice to see at least neutral tints become the norm as we see more and more converts all the time.
    コイン矢の如し

don't you think that pics are better arguments than numbers when talking about tints ?

my quark familly : warm (xpg)/ neutral (xpe) / cool white (xpe)
    Last edited by TiC; 02-05-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Unenlightened

Im pretty new to lights, but I wish that 4Sevens did something more unique. They make nice stuff, but I would like to see different patterns of knurling.

The warms I purchased (Preon, Mini AA, Turbo123) are still my favorite tints! The neutrals (Preon, Revo, Quark AA2, and 9v head) are great tints also, but come in second to my warms.
    Pictures don't do them justice.

Enlightened

I would also like to see more neutrals, and warms as well. Since I've fairly recently found myself addicted to flashlights, I missed out on warm/neutral preons of all sorts. For a self defense light, I want the brightest, but I really would love to get a nice EDC single cell light with good output and color rendering for more general use.

I'm hoping for more neutrals as well. I gave my AA2 XP-E neutral to my daughter thinking I would get the XP-G neutral and missed out on them. I tried 2 different R5's but just can't make myself like them.(I strongly dislike green tints)

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by TiC View Post
    don't you think that pics are better arguments than numbers when talking about tints ?

my quark familly : warm (xpg)/ neutral (xpe) / cool white (xpe)
    These pictures are worth a thousand words of SPIN, no doubt. To other readers who might not notice, just look at the lack of hotspot on this warm tint example compared to the rest..

To who posted this - next time try and get similar BEAM PROFILES before extolling the virtues/deficiencies of tints via photography...

I won't even get into the obvious photographical biases introduced here...

Flashaholic

I don't see anything wrong with his pics. The warm xp-g does indeed have a larger, floodier hotspot compared to the old xp-e's. Beam profile is not really relevant anyways when he's only trying to show tint, so I don't know why you gotta get all uppity, Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Dudeson View Post
    These pictures are worth a thousand words of SPIN, no doubt. To other readers who might not notice, just look at the lack of hotspot on this warm tint example compared to the rest..

To who posted this - next time try and get similar BEAM PROFILES before extolling the virtues/deficiencies of tints via photography...

I won't even get into the obvious photographical biases introduced here...
    If that's what the beam looks like, than that's what it looks like. Yes, there's a lot more than tint that goes into your impression of it for sure, but manipulating the beams is a bit artificial and misleading in a different way. He's just providing some photos of the same light with some different emitters and it's good data to have - no reason to eat him up over it.

Not like TiC is trying to "spin" things to cheat you or something - they're just photos and you can draw and share your own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Dudeson View Post
    Yes, we should all own every version of every light made just so we can have perfect apples to apples comparison pics to post on the internet. Shame on TiC for not selling his older emitter lights and buying matching new ones just for you.

Sarcasm switched off now.

Personally I like the pics. They give me an answer to a question I asked awhile back about warm lights. The snow we have here washes out my cool lights and makes my neutral lights look mostly cool. My best light for outside in the snow is a Surefire Winelight 2 with a Lumens Factory IMR 350. Runtime sucks for farm use but it lets me see predators in our woodline. TiC's pictures let me see how close a warm light would be to my Surefire with better runtime.