Battery Junction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stop sending PayPal as "gift" when buying goods.

Go ahead do it...you will get burned.

I am not the PP Police but here is one reason:

When you send someone a "gift" as payment for goods they (the seller)
    have every right to keep the money and not send you anything. If you
    complain to PP that someone did not deliver and you sent gift money (if
    you are that dumb to file a complaint) they will and are saying tough you
    know the rules...you the buyer and seller will be banned and you the buyer
    will still be out of your money.

Ask yourself, is it realy worth it to save a couple of bucks in fees?

Default Re: Stop sending PayPal as "gift" when buying goods.

I've gotta say: +10 and 3 cheers for your post!

I've been stating this to all my customers lately, but it's really a trend that needs to stop. I know the buyers are just trying to save the sellers a couple bucks, but fees are usually considered when pricing the items. The other disadvantage that wasn't mentioned is that PP obscures shipping info with a "gift" payment, as it shouldn't be needed for a gift. This causes all kinds of confusion.

I gotta say that there are a few folks here that I trust to not screw me over. I also gotta say that I'll never screw any of you over. CPF is like another family to me. Trust is key. PP protection or not, I won't do any business with anyone I dont trust.
    Jim.

I think if you trust the CFPer you are dealing with, then there is no concern with sending payment as gift. After all we CFPer are like family, and I generally trust the people that I deal with here

On that topic Norm, I think PP make enough money of people to be honest... just transferring your money to your bank account cost's you, and think of the millions of people a day doing so.

Yes there should be a fee for the service, but eBay/PayPal make plenty of money off fee's in everyway possible.

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    On that topic Norm, I think PP make enough money of people to be honest... just transferring your money to your bank account cost's you, and think of the millions of people a day doing so.

Yes there should be a fee for the service, but eBay/PayPal make plenty of money off fee's in everyway possible.

and their exchange rate sucks!!

when you have to convert the $$ to local currency.
    (I have to convert before they can be credited to my bank's account)
    Incan: Megalennium +AW soft start +WA1185 / Megalennium w/ 4 trits slot +AW soft start + MN61 / stock M6 / M4+2x18650+AW soft start+ WA1111 / Stride M2 w/ P61 / E1e-BK/ E1eHA/ E1Ws and E2Ws / E2eHA / E2e-CJ / E2e-HA-BK /E2E-BK/ A2-WH(4 flat) /A2-WH(round) / 6P+D26 CL1794 / 6P+G4 D26 WA1111 / 6P patriotic

I've been burned by PP in many ways, fees, exchange, fees even when a gift is sent (I think it was 1% or something) or even when paying fomr balance. I have no desire to pay more fees to PP.

If they hadn't removed the no-fee pay from balance in personal PP option, we wouldn't be talking about gifts. I don't believe PP should get any more of my money...

I once lost 20% of what I paid on a puchase that was never delivered just because of PP's terrible exchange rates.

Bleah.

More good valid points guys!

I didn't even think about the exchange rates... I try to pretend that they don't exist

Paypal makes alot of money through their conversions, so it's like paying with credit card for international purchases already.
    Paypal AUD $1.00 = USD $0.88
    Midmarket conversion AUD $1.00 = USD $0.9046
    a $0.0246 difference or 2.7% (0.0246/0.9046)

Quote Originally Posted by mikevelarde View Post
    and their exchange rate sucks!!

when you have to convert the $$ to local currency.
    (I have to convert before they can be credited to my bank's account)
    But you choose to use the services, no one is forcing you to, like me I bet you wouldn't be able to manage your online transactions without them. Even a bank is going to charge you for currency conversions.
    Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post

Only transfer funds when you have more than $150 then it's free to withdraw funds.

We all winge about PP but they have really revolutionized the way we are able to buy and sell our goodies on a world wide scale.

P.S. Nothing new here even Jesus through out the money changers from the temple. Seems like the problem isn't new.
    Norm

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

Only transfer funds when you have more than $150 then it's free to withdraw funds.
    Really??

I transfered $120 just the other day

Ah well.

I usually forget to ask for 3% more, and end up losing someone in the vicinity of 5$ to paypal...oh well...

I think its all your own discretion, obviously doing it the upright way is better, but ill accept payment from a cpf by way of personal payment if they want to do it. But only a cpfer...

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    I usually forget to ask for 3% more, and end up losing someone in the vicinity of 5$ to paypal...oh well...
    I just price my items to cover the fees and exchange rate issues.

I wish PP would provide the option for the buyer to pay the fees like they have with the Gift option.

I try to buy only from reputable sellers or people I have dealt with before. If I have their paypal address on file, I don't hesitate to send them cash right away. If not, I usually contact them and do a conventional PP transaction only to protect myself.

Know one too many folks who have been burned by PP in one way, shape, or form.
    "The World is insane, with tiny spots of sanity here & there.... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese

https://www.gearpay.com/index.php?x=help&f=&a=35

https://www.gearpay.com/?x=home&

I found this a while ago and they are Pro gun. From what I read in the above link, they are making software and maybe not online yet.
    I myself am willing to support those that support my rights
    Russ

Unenlightened

All really good topics most people do not consider when they buy things online. Good thread.

I know personally I strictly do conventional exchanges. People have disappeared from PP many a time!

I'm now seeing sellers here stating PP via personal or gift only.
    If somebody reports you for that junk your account is locked and who knows if you'd get your money out of it, ever.

If I've done business with you a couple of times before then I'd maybe consider it but if not, NO.
    Especially if you're a new member - Hell NO.

That's like telling your customers upfront that you'd like it to be easier to rip them off.
    "But CPF is a kind friendly community of trust".
    Yeah, clap your hands and save Tinkerbell kids.
    Ω HEY! Shouldn't you be out shipping me something today?
    Mule Glow Disks

Yup ... A kind, friendly, community ... where trust must be earned.
    "The World is insane, with tiny spots of sanity here & there.... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese

PayPal has been conducting a year-long study to see how many people cheat on the type of payment they claim. At the beginning of the study they set aside a certain number of accounts for which they are still not charging fees for purchase of goods. My account is one of these. In scientific terms, I'm part of a control group. They are looking at the difference in percentage of GIFT and MONEY OWED payments between the standard accounts and the control group.

I don't know what all they have in store for the cheaters, but at the very least you will no longer have the option of accepting Gift and Money Owed payments. It could be much worse than that, and you may be screwing things up for the honest folks as well.

Make no mistake, PayPal is watching.
    And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee: Deut. 23:13

Enlightened

I used ppal many times (about 50).
    The only time I had a problem with a stupid seller, they saved my a*s. Really.

Obviously they have to gain money (as banks, post & so on)...
    But they offer a really great servie, IMHO.

There was a thread over on CPF along the same lines as this thread, so I'll try to keep it short as I posted my views over there.

I'm a member of another forum where memebers kept asking for pp payments via gift to save on fees. Well am not sure what happened, but the forum changed it's rules after a time and no one is allowed to ask for funds via PP gift now.

This was to protect the forum members and to protect the forum.

......today we have a authorized dealer based in the US selling on this forum asking International buyers to pay via PP gift, and he's made it clear in the sales thread he won't be held responsible for undelivered mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    ......today we have a authorized dealer based in the US selling on this forum asking International buyers to pay via PP gift, and he's made it clear in the sales thread he won't be held responsible for undelivered mail.
    I saw that as well....and scratched them off my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    I saw that as well....and scratched them off my list.

If were talking about the same thread, check again, as if by magic they have changed the terms and conditions, which is nice.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    as if by magic they have changed the terms and conditions, which is nice
    LOL
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    LOL
    Perhaps it was the spirit of the other guy in the red suit that influenced them.

I just had someone send me a "GIFT" instead of a payment. I had to refund their money and request that they send it as a payment instead.

The gift money transfer does not give you the option to print a shipping label. For me, that is a major inconvenience. If I can't print a shipping label from the computer, then I am stuck going to the post office on Saturday. The small PayPal fee is worth the convenience. Also, playing by the rules ensures that things go smoothly for me as a buyer and seller.
    Until further notice, I am not accepting new mod requests.

Quote Originally Posted by carbine15 View Post
    I gotta say that there are a few folks here that I trust to not screw me over. I also gotta say that I'll never screw any of you over. CPF is like another family to me. Trust is key. PP protection or not, I won't do any business with anyone I dont trust.
    Jim.
    Posts like this are why
    -Winston

Quote Originally Posted by datiLED View Post
    I just had someone send me a "GIFT" instead of a payment. I had to refund their money and request that they send it as a payment instead.

The gift money transfer does not give you the option to print a shipping label. For me, that is a major inconvenience. If I can't print a shipping label from the computer, then I am stuck going to the post office on Saturday. The small PayPal fee is worth the convenience. Also, playing by the rules ensures that things go smoothly for me as a buyer and seller.
    Er, some years ago they invented a device called a "ballpoint pen" which should be usable for putting addresses on packages?!!

I think sellers have taken to requesting "gift" payments because Paypal resolves almost all disputes in favor of the buyer, leading to legitimate sellers getting hosed in some situations, and the sellers (legitimate or otherwise) are trying to avoid that. I personally wouldn't go along with it though.