[CLICK HERE] for flash plackback

[PDF download]

3 meter beamshots reference :

[CLICK HERE] for flash plackback

[PDF download]

Product photos update : 17-June-2009

Unit Price : USD65

Introductory Offer : USD57

Please take a minute to registered your product(s)
    Download the registration form : [CLICK HERE]

Best regards,

Ricky - Lumapower CS
    Last edited by lumapower; 07-09-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    welcome to www.lumapower.com
    Our Paypal id : sales@lumapower.com

Default Re: Lumapower pocket tools >>> Avenger GX, my EDC

Excellent job Ricky.

Is this a tailcap twisty or do you twist the middle body for switching? Does it have a keychain hole on the clicky tailcap?

Flashaholic*

What will be the price of this one? I have the original Avenger and it is one of my favorite lights...
    My lights: Surefire Titan, ARC LSH-P, ARC AAA, Fenix T1, EDGE SPEAR, Lumapower Avenger, Mr. Bulk Lion CUB (Brass+Alu), Mr. Bulk Lion Heart Brass, Mr. Bulk Aero Cub Ti, AWR Nano...

Early June huh... it'll be here in a jiffy then.

Flashaholic

Lumapower, how do you switch brightness levels?

What are the lumen ratings of the three levels?
    Last edited by copperfox; 05-26-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Looks and sounds Great !

Especially, since i really like my ConneXion X2 (convertible 2AA model).

_

Ricky, this looks very nice, indeed. With an R2 XP-E, the beam should be bright and pretty.

All the other features sound great, too: new clip, smaller size, simple, common sense UI, forward clickie on an AAA light, good looks. If the Avenger performs as well as it looks on paper, this should be a big winner for Lumapower.

Andrew
    You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!" (Dave Barry)

It looks like a really nice AAA light, with all the possibilities. Will the output levels be the same with NiMH and LiIon batteries, or will they increase when using LiIon?
    I am definitely going to buy one and include when I update my AAA roundup (I am at about 20 lights now).

Flashaholic

Eagerly waiting to say "Paypal sent"
    Thanks Ricky!!!

Bryan

Flashaholic*

Looks and sounds great! Any chance it can come with a diffusor? That makes it so much more useful. Thanks!

Excellent!!

Is there any chance of having the option of turning off the memory? Not a fan at all of having to remember which setting I turned the light off at, or to put it another way, I like knowing it's always going to come on at the lowest setting.
    コイン矢の如し

Flashaholic

Hi Kaichu Dento,

There is only 3 modes from Low to High.
    We have consider if we need to add this option or not for times.

It is hard to say which is better.
    But it is still a good combination with the forward clicky.
    You can simply select your required output level by half press to cycle and full-press to lock it.

On the other hand, when I use the twisty option and found memory option is helpful too.

I use Medium level for most of the time.
    So, a simple turn ON can always meet my need.

Hi sledhead,

We may consider.

Hi HKJ,

The output level with rechargeable Li-ion will be higher than NiMH or dry cell.

Hi copperfox,

With the forward clicky - Half-press to select the output level and a full-press to lock it.
    With twisty tail, we use twisty on-and-off to select the output.
    A 0.5 sec for level change and after turn on for more than 1 second it memorize the stage and will remains the same output at next turn-on action.

Hi Mike75,

It will be similar to ConneXion X2 in price.
    An XP-E R2 will add the cost a bit.

Hi gunga,

Twist in between battery-tube and LED engine.
    That means Thread-Lock for both clicky-style and Twisty-style.

Best regards,

Ricky - Lumapower CS

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Kaichu Dento View Post
    Is there any chance of having the option of turning off the memory? Not a fan at all of having to remember which setting I turned the light off at, or to put it another way, I like knowing it's always going to come on at the lowest setting.
    I agree. I have no use for lights with memory. I wish every light was like the Jetbeam IBS so I could set three levels where I want them and always come on in the first level. Unfortunately, Jetbeam seems to be moving away from the three level IBS design. Maybe Lumapower could give us a similar design. At the very least, I would like to have very low, mid, and full power with no memory.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cheetokhan View Post
    I agree. I have no use for lights with memory. I wish every light was like the Jetbeam IBS so I could set three levels where I want them and always come on in the first level. Unfortunately, Jetbeam seems to be moving away from the three level IBS design. Maybe Lumapower could give us a similar design. At the very least, I would like to have very low, mid, and full power with no memory.
    It is obviously all preference - I hate lights without memory. I like to know it will come on at a medium or high (or low) setting when I need it - exactly at the time I turn it on.

Just my $0.02

Ricky,

The new Avenger looks great. This is a light I don't need, and probably shouldn't buy, but it looks so good I am tempted....

So, here's hoping you push me, and many of my CPF brothers, over the edge---with a great pre-order/earlybird/CPF/whatever-you-like-to-call-it special price.

Cheers,

Andrew
    You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!" (Dave Barry)

Flashaholic

It is obviously all a matter of preference - I too don't like lights without memory. But I would not mind if the memory function could be turned off/not used - which I suspect from what has already been said by Ricky will not be the case. That is, the Avenger GX WILL remember the setting when it was last on and that this memory will not be able to be disabled - which is fine with me.

I also think this will be a great light which also LOOKS great (and which, so far, I like the look of better than the competitor, LF2XT).

I eagerly await specifications: how LONG will it be in its clikie form?
    SureFire UB3T Invictus; TrustFire X6; Sunwayman V11R; LumaPower MVP (3xCree); Electrolumens EDC-P7; Nitecore DI (R2, GDP, Q5); LiteFlux LF2XT-R2, LF2X; LED Lenser P7; Fenix L2D, L1D, P1D (RB100, Q5), LD01, L0D-Q4; SL Stinger DS LED; Maglite LED 4D with Terralux drop-in; SL Stylus; plus lots of 'lesser lights'.

Quote Originally Posted by lumapower View Post
    Hi Kaichu Dento,

There is only 3 modes from Low to High.
    We have consider if we need to add this option or not for times.

It is hard to say which is better.
    But it is still a good combination with the forward clicky.
    You can simply select your required output level by half press to cycle and full-press to lock it.

On the other hand, when I use the twisty option and found memory option is helpful too.

I use Medium level for most of the time.
    So, a simple turn ON can always meet my need.
    Thanks for your reply but I do understand how to use both lights with and without memory, as I have both.

It may be hard for memory fans to understand those of us who hate this function but it's equally frustrating for us to understand why the ascending order non-memory UI isn't the defacto standard.

I want my light to always come on at it's lowest setting, ascending to highest and I know I can get that with the LF2XT and am also hoping to be able to get the same from my Lumapower.
    コイン矢の如し

Flashaholic

This thread shouldn't be about memory vs. no memory, but I'll thow my 2 cents in:

A flashlight with memory can be used as if it had no memory, but a light without memory cannot be used as if it had memory. In other words, the memory feature cannot be approximated by the user on a flashlight that lacks it, but using a light with memory in a manner that acts as though it does not have memory can be achieved. If the non-memory light has a programmable, or user configurable "always turn on at X lumens" then it HAS MEMORY.

Let's consider a camping scenario. Lets say I search my tent at night for a pocket knife. I set my flashlight to low and use it, then turn it off. Whoops! I forgot I also needed something else, so I turn it back on. BAH! HIGH MODE. Boy, I wish my flashlight had memory mode...Do you see how annoying lack of memory mode would be?

Conversely for users who hate memory mode, you can approximate this by simply turning the flashlight off in the same mode every time. Yes it's an extra step, but at least there is a way to mimic no-memory. For a user who prefers memory mode there is no way to mimic memory mode.

I realize that having to anticipate what level of light you need ahead of time isn't the best user interface conceivable, but I would argue that it's still much better than a light that lacks memory.

If you truly want no-memory, just buy a single mode light. It's the most non-aggravating UI in the world (but lacks versatility).

Lumapower is doing a good job of giving us a light with a feature that most people want. I'm sorry to say to those of you asking for no-memory that you are in the minority.

If I like the beamshots and the brightness distribution of this new avenger I will buy one. I've been waiting for a multi-mode AAA light with an exposed forward clicky and a pocket clip.

Hi copperfox, Kaichu Dento and all friends.

Before we start to ship the new Avenger GX, I still have time to forward all your value comments and suggestions to our engineering team.

So, we will try to see if there is a way to make compromise as add-on features.

Best regards,

Ricky - Lumapower CS

Flashaholic

Copperfox makes some excellent points about memory vs no memory and especially that you can make a lite WITH memory behave AS IF it did not have memory but you cannot make a lite WITHOUT memory behave AS IF it did. This is sort of what I was saying above too.

But more generally, I too have been waiting for a multi-mode AAA lite with an exposed forward clickie which is seriously bright and is a serious lite.

I still would like to know how LONG it will be in clikie style (I assume it will be 14mm diam like others in the AAA range)
    SureFire UB3T Invictus; TrustFire X6; Sunwayman V11R; LumaPower MVP (3xCree); Electrolumens EDC-P7; Nitecore DI (R2, GDP, Q5); LiteFlux LF2XT-R2, LF2X; LED Lenser P7; Fenix L2D, L1D, P1D (RB100, Q5), LD01, L0D-Q4; SL Stinger DS LED; Maglite LED 4D with Terralux drop-in; SL Stylus; plus lots of 'lesser lights'.

You argument that you can make a light with memory act like one without memory is taken from you stance of not really putting yourself in the shoes of those of us who prefer lights without memory. There are more of us than you think too, but you that prefer memory just tend to be more vocal about it.

Let's consider this camping scenario instead. You have your light set to low and turn it off, just then remembering one more thing you wanted to do and turn it back on low again, because that is a more logical order for a light with no memory, to start from low and go higher from there.

While your suggesting that I need to go somewhere else and buy single setting lights only I suggest that you buy your own lights and let me pick my own. I could even make the exact reverse argument that if you want your light to always come on in the last mode you used, that you buy lights with only a single setting. But then that would negate the value all of us find in multiple setting lights.

Lumapower, thanks for the consideration and 7histology, thanks for making one of the more pertinent points, that it's very much about preference.
    コイン矢の如し

Hi 7histology,

The max. diameter at both head and tail with 15.5mm
    Overall length with forward clicky is 88.5mm
    Body diameter is 15mm

Refer to Memory mode :

We have internal meeting about adding extra control on memory today but the final conclusion is "No" as it will affects the UI to be more complex.
    We will keep the UI simple to use.

So, we will try to see if we can offer a batch of No Memory in next week.
    Since this is not within our planned schedule and needs special handling which will increase the operation cost.

We will post the offical price and also CPF discount next week here.

Thanks for supporting and best regards,

Ricky - Lumapower CS

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Kaichu Dento View Post
    You argument that you can make a light with memory act like one without memory is taken from you stance of not really putting yourself in the shoes of those of us who prefer lights without memory.
    No, it's based on observation and logic. You really can make a light with memory act like it has no memory, it just takes an extra step. There is no converse for a user who has a light that lacks memory.

There are more of us than you think too, but you that prefer memory just tend to be more vocal about it.
    Neither of us knows how many people are in either camp. From a business perspective (Lumapower), if you can only make a light one way then you make it the way that satisfies the largest user base, and will thus generate the most sales, resulting in the most profit. I believe that Lumapower is producing lights with memory (connexion, incendio, avenger) because they sell better than lights without memory. I believe they sell better because there is more demand.

Let's consider this camping scenario instead. You have your light set to low and turn it off, just then remembering one more thing you wanted to do and turn it back on low again, because that is a more logical order for a light with no memory, to start from low and go higher from there.
    You have just argued for 1) a light with memory, or 2) a light without memory that always comes on low. In order to prove your point you have also strenthened mine.

Given your preference for the non-memory light to start in low every time, what if we consider a scenario with an electrician who uses medium the most? Will he have to switch from low to medium, possibly dozens of times a day, every time he wants to use his multimode light? Memory still makes more sense in this case. Again, you can make a light with memory act like it has no memory, but you cannot do the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by copperfox View Post
    Given your preference for the non-memory light to start in low every time, what if we consider a scenario with an electrician who uses medium the most? Will he have to switch from low to medium, possibly dozens of times a day, every time he wants to use his multimode light? Memory still makes more sense in this case. Again, you can make a light with memory act like it has no memory, but you cannot do the reverse.
    I do not agree with you, you just say that people can step trough all levels to stop at the desired startup level, this includes passing the max. level and being blinded by that and also using a lot of extra clicks.
    Why could somebody that want memory not just use the appropriate number of clicks to get to their desired level? For a light that start at low they never run the risk of being blinded!

It is two different types of UI and preferences for them varies between people. I prefer without memory, because then I know how the light behaves.

Flashaholic

Thanks Ricky. I assume the tailcap switch will be accessible for replacing the clicky switch and also that spare switches and tailcap boots will be available?

+1 for the memory mode. Maybe somebody should do a poll?

I prefer no memory too, but I feel it is unreasonable to expect Lumapower to change their product so soon before release!

I hardly think manufacturers can be expected to make that kind of change at the last minute...

Hi 7histology,

The tailswitch is not suppose to be frequently disassembly.
    At least we have spare switch in stock.

Unlike larger size EDC, we won't press it with nails and it last for longer operation lifecycle.

Thank you everybody for all your kindly comments.
    My very point of view on UI.

There is hard to position an UI to be the best.
    - From Hi to Low,
    - From Medium to ...
    - Or always Low first..
    - With memory or without
    I like the "Signature" but it is a way too large for my daily usage.
    So I keep the new Avenger-GX as my EDC now.

Just like Gunga said "My favourite is always changing."
    Which means we can still alive because we can do better and better.

Different styles to cover ranges of real life usage.
    And that is the way (or room) for manufacturer(s) to surive from competition.

We offer different types of flashlights :
    From small to large
    With types of circuit, UI and LED for your choice.
    And we hope that in coming future, we can offer more choice to please more user for different class.

Best regards,

Ricky - Lumapower CS