Battery Junction
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Flashaholic*

Arrow Dereelight Official U.S. Dealer!... FlashlightConnection.com!

This is Part 3 in the series.

To view Part 2, click HERE
    To view Part 1, click HERE

Announcement, 3-27-09: My new website is now operational! To order Dereelight products (as well as EagleTac, Tiablo, Malkoff, Nitecore, Fenix, Olight, etc.) from now on, please order from my website. Thanks!

www.FlashlightConnection.com

Hi everyone, I've been working with Alan of Dereelight to become the official U.S. dealer for them, and to help out here on CPF with questions about their products. I'm excited and proud to be able to offer their line of excellent flashlights and P60 Drop-Ins! For more information on Dereelight's products, please see their website www.Dereelight.com

12-27-08: Dereelight announces release of DBS V3!

Dereelight just announced the availability of the DBS V3, replacing the V2 version. It's essentially the same, it's just shorter by 1/4". The DBS V3's body tube (small intermediate part that the tailcap threads onto) is 3/16" shorter, and the tailcap is 1/16" shorter.

The 1SM-2 pill has also been updated, with a 200 mA boost to 1200 mA (1.2A). This change will make all of the DBS pills the same in regard to the current delivered to the LED. All of the other pills remain unchanged.

11-27-08: DBS 3SM Cree MC-E Flashlights and pills are here! (4-die emitter, TONS of light!) See below for pricing. For the MC-E dedicated thread, click here. Recommended power for the MC-E is 2 x protected 18650 3.7V Li-Ion batteries with the optional extension tube. Can also use 2 x protected RCR123 batteries. DO NOT use 2 x CR123 non-rechargeable "primary" batteries.

To order, please visit my new website www.FlashlightConnection.com
    Thanks!
    Last edited by FlashCrazy; 09-24-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    FlashlightConnection.com 5% discount coupon code: CPF

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Dereelight U.S. Dealer!!

reserved

Unenlightened

Hello FlashCrazy -

Regarding the DBSV3: What is the difference in runtime between the 3SD with one 18650 and the 3SM with 2x18650 batteries? When putting an extension tube on the 3SM, does it go in between the flanges, thereby extending the 'smooth' area between the flanges, and how much does it extend the length of the flashlight?

I am asking about the 'smooth' area because I want to use a DBSV3 as a weapon light on my M1 and the mount is about 1.75-1.85 inches long, which is how long the 'smooth' area between the flanges would need to be.

Now if it would not work to use the DBSV3 as a weapon light, could an R2 pill be put in a CL1HV4 head, or a Surefire or a Solar Force L2. If so, do you know what kind of lumen output and runtime I would have with the R2? Would I be better off with another kind of Dereelight pill?

I will be purchasing at least a DBSV3 R2 later today when I return from town.

Many thanks for your help with all these questions!

Kevin

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Mattole View Post
    Hello FlashCrazy -

Regarding the DBSV3: What is the difference in runtime between the 3SD with one 18650 and the 3SM with 2x18650 batteries? When putting an extension tube on the 3SM, does it go in between the flanges, thereby extending the 'smooth' area between the flanges, and how much does it extend the length of the flashlight?

I am asking about the 'smooth' area because I want to use a DBSV3 as a weapon light on my M1 and the mount is about 1.75-1.85 inches long, which is how long the 'smooth' area between the flanges would need to be.

Now if it would not work to use the DBSV3 as a weapon light, could an R2 pill be put in a CL1HV4 head, or a Surefire or a Solar Force L2. If so, do you know what kind of lumen output and runtime I would have with the R2? Would I be better off with another kind of Dereelight pill?
    Hi Mattole,
    The 3SD's runtime on high is about 1.2 hours. The 3SM using 2 x 18650's will be about 2.75 hours.

The extension tube piggy backs onto the light. You just remove the tailcap, thread the extension tube on, and install the tailcap onto the end of the extension. So yes, it extends the smooth area, however there will be a slightly larger diamter area right where the extension attaches (the extension is flared a bit at this point). You can see this in the picture below.

Without the clip installed, the smooth area between flanges is 1.87 inches on the DBS, so your mount should work fine... even without the extension tube.

The R2 pill can go in the CL1H. They use the same exact pills in fact. The R2 is about 250 real out the front lumens. In the CL1H, the beam will just have a bigger hotspot than the DBS, and a wider diameter spill area. Same lumens, just less throw.

Enlightened

FlashCrazy
    Groo here

I got your light Monday evening.
    I was originally not impressed with the light output as my P3D works so well then I took it outside.
    The hot spot is slightly larger and brighter at about 40 Yds.
    but with snow on the ground I soon found out that the Spill was
    causing me some problems....
    It was so bright that I had trouble finding the hot spot!!!!!
    I now understand-- the light puts out so much light that it is blinding
    if shined on a light target or snow .
    I was impressed with the amount or light and the brightness of the spill.
    What rechargables should I use-- I will use them only with the exsention.
    I would suggest that a cap and plug of plastic be included with
    the extension so that it could be used as a cell carrier also

THANKS

Unenlightened

Hello FlashCrazy -

Thanks for your answers to my questions. I am ready to order the DBS V3 w/ 1SM-2 Cree XR-E WH R2 (SMO).

I am also interested in the extension tube but see that it is out of stock. Should I pay for it now with my DBS order, if you are expecting it in soon?
    Please advise and I will head over to PayPal.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mark chapman View Post
    I was originally not impressed with the light output as my P3D works so well then I took it outside.
    The hot spot is slightly larger and brighter at about 40 Yds.
    but with snow on the ground I soon found out that the Spill was
    causing me some problems....
    It was so bright that I had trouble finding the hot spot!!!!!
    I now understand-- the light puts out so much light that it is blinding
    if shined on a light target or snow .
    I was impressed with the amount or light and the brightness of the spill.
    What rechargables should I use-- I will use them only with the exsention.
    I would suggest that a cap and plug of plastic be included with
    the extension so that it could be used as a cell carrier also. THANKS
    Thanks for the feedback, Mark! That's a good idea with the battery extension being used for a spare carrier... a couple of others have mentioned that... guess I'll have to see if Dereelight can do something like that.

I recommend AW's protected 18650's... you can find his sales thread here in the Dealer's Corner.

Anyone interested in buying Dereelight Products, I strongly suggest you purchase it from FlashCrazy. He is one of the best dealers around these parts !

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Mattole View Post
    Hello FlashCrazy -

Thanks for your answers to my questions. I am ready to order the DBS V3 w/ 1SM-2 Cree XR-E WH R2 (SMO).

I am also interested in the extension tube but see that it is out of stock. Should I pay for it now with my DBS order, if you are expecting it in soon?
    Please advise and I will head over to PayPal.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    You're welcome. I just ran out of the extension tubes today, but I already have more coming in. I'm expecting them in a couple of days. You can pay for it now if you'd like. I can send out your DBS now, and then send the extension when it's in.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Sector7 View Post
    Anyone interested in buying Dereelight Products, I strongly suggest you purchase it from FlashCrazy. He is one of the best dealers around these parts !
    Thanks, Sector1

Quote Originally Posted by Sector7 View Post
    +1 for fast (and free? Come ON!) shipping and . . .
    +1 for the superb customer service.

Never fear that you're making the wrong purchase. Jay will take care of you, no matter how many pills confound and bedazzle you!

Unenlightened

How much length does the extension tube add -- exactly the length of one 18650? So, total extended length should be a little over 7.5", right?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Tirodani View Post
    How much length does the extension tube add -- exactly the length of one 18650? So, total extended length should be a little over 7.5", right?
    The extension tube adds 2.75" to the length, or about .125" more than the length of an 18650.

The DBS is about 6.25" long by itself. With the extension tube, it's 9"

The CL1H is about 5" long. The extension tube brings it to 7.75"

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jblackwood View Post
    +1 for fast (and free? Come ON!) shipping and . . .
    +1 for the superb customer service.

Never fear that you're making the wrong purchase. Jay will take care of you, no matter how many pills confound and bedazzle you!
    Thanks, jblackwood!

Flashaholic*

Important information on the DBS V2 & V3 3SM MC-E flashlights and upgrade pills.

This only affects the MC-E version (four die emitter) pills and flashlights.

Warning: 2 x CR123's was listed as a battery option before, but it has been determined that the current draw of the 3SM MC-E exceeds the maximum limit as set forth by most CR123 battery manufacturers. DO NOT use CR123 primary batteries with any Dereelight MC-E flashlight or pill.

The recommended battery choice is 2 x 18650's (protected versions) with the extension tube. 2 x RCR123 (protected versions) should also be fine, as the 3SM MC-E draws 1050 to 1100 mA from the batteries in this configuration. This current draw is consistent throughout the runtime. This is right at the maximum recommended limit for RCR123's, which would be a 2C current draw. (2C stands for twice the milliamp rating of the battery). AW recommends no more than a 1400 mA current draw, so I recommend AW brand protected RCR123 batteries if you're going to use that size battery.
    Last edited by FlashCrazy; 01-15-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by FlashCrazy View Post
    Note: 2 x CR123's were listed as a battery option before. I no longer recommend their use, as the current draw of the 3SM MC-E exceeds the maximum limit as set forth by most CR123 battery manufacturers.
    I can confirm this. I received my DBS V3 MCE and CL1H last night, and I only had CR123's on hand for testing. Two cells powered the CL1H just fine, but the DBS on high was "jumping" in and out of regulation right off the bat. The cells were lightly used Duracells.

When I switched to four older but unused Sanyos with the extension tube, I had no problems at all.

The MCE emitter is a fantastic pure white tint, and generates a huge wall of light; testing it in a park near my house briefly attracted the attention of a nearby police helicopter NO, I did not shine it at the chopper, I was only lighting up trees and a distant gazebo that were away from neighboring houses; but that was still bright enough to be seen from the air.

The CL1H is my first encounter with a Cree 5A emitter. To my eye, the color is nowhere near the blackbody curve; rather, it resembles the pinkish-orange warm tint of some HID's and halide lights. That being said, I still find it an interesting change from the usual blast-white of regular emitters -- and with the smooth reflector, it has good throw and hotspot comparable to the Taskforce Cree 2C. With the OP reflector, the hotspot is similar to that from my Leatherman Monarch 500.

One quibble with the instructions: they warn clearly at the outset that putting the batteries in backwards will "fried" the pill -- but they don't tell you which orientation is correct until you go through the troubleshooting section! The light itself uses contact springs at both ends, so there's no clue there, and the only image of the light does not show correct orientation either. Hey Dereelight, it's very likely to be too late if someone's reading that section wondering why their light won't come on. Fortunately, I read everything instead of guessing

Oh, and BTW, Jay ships fast and packs things up with care. Big thumbs up

Important information on the DBS V2 & V3 3SM MC-E flashlights and upgrade pills.

This only affects the MC-E version (four die emitter) pills and flashlights.

Note: 2 x CR123's were listed as a battery option before. I no longer recommend their use, as the current draw of the 3SM MC-E exceeds the maximum limit as set forth by most CR123 battery manufacturers.

The recommended battery choice is 2 x 18650's (protected versions) with the extension tube. 2 x RCR123 (protected versions) should also be fine, as the 3SM MC-E draws 1050 to 1100 mA from the batteries in this configuration. This current draw is consistent throughout the runtime. This is right at the maximum recommended limit for RCR123's, which would be a 2C current draw. (2C stands for twice the milliamp rating of the battery). AW recommends no more than a 1400 mA current draw, so I recommend AW brand protected RCR123 batteries if you're going to use that size battery.
    How about the new R123A's? And does this apply to the older one (the only one you're selling) as well? Obviously it DOES apply to the newer 2.4 version of the MC-E.

I should get my MC-E tonight. I'm so excited!

Also, are there any markings on the pills themselves whether they're D (digital) or M (multi voltage)? I'd hate to drop some (newly acquired) CR123's into a light equipped with one of my 3SD pills.

Flashaholic*

How about the new R123A's? And does this apply to the older one (the only one you're selling) as well? Obviously it DOES apply to the newer 2.4 version of the MC-E.

I should get my MC-E tonight. I'm so excited!
    Yes, this applies to the older version (2.1 amp drive current) and the newer (discontinued by Dereelight version, 2.4 amp drive current). I never sold any of the newer 2.4 amp versions, only tested them.
    To sum it up, do not use 2 x CR123 primary batteries in any of the Dereelight MC-E lights.

Yes, this applies to the older version (2.1 amp drive current) and the newer (discontinued by Dereelight version, 2.4 amp drive current). I never sold any of the newer 2.4 amp versions, only tested them.
    To sum it up, do not use 2 x CR123 primary batteries in any of the Dereelight MC-E lights.
    Just got R123a's (rechargable from AW) too! Oh well, I guess I'll have to get other lights for them!
    Last edited by jblackwood; 01-15-2009 at 11:20 AM.

Flashaholic*

Just got R123a's (rechargable from AW) too! Oh well, I guess I'll have to get other lights for them!
    The RCR123 rechargeables will work fine... it's the CR123 non-rechargeable "primary" batteries that should not be used.

Flashaholic*

Also, are there any markings on the pills themselves whether they're D (digital) or M (multi voltage)? I'd hate to drop some (newly acquired) CR123's into a light equipped with one of my 3SD pills.
    No, no markings on the pills themselves, just on the plastic bags they come in (if purchased by themselves), and also on the reflector of the flashlight. I just mark each of my personal pills with a Sharpie marker. I know what you mean though, it's hard to tell them apart otherwise! Here's a tip... if you look at them side by side, the 3SM pills are longer than the other pills.

Just got my MC-E, now I'm eagerly waiting for night! Thanks, Jay. I noticed there are slight depressions in the battery tube. Can I put the anti-rolling ring on the battery tube? Thanks.

Flashaholic*

Just got my MC-E, now I'm eagerly waiting for night! Thanks, Jay. I noticed there are slight depressions in the battery tube. Can I put the anti-rolling ring on the battery tube? Thanks.
    Hi John, yes.. those depressions are where the anti-rolling ring (or pocket clip) screws protrude into, securing the ring or clip. Have fun!

Unenlightened

Jay, got the pill and reflector and everything fits great - great throw! Love the WH for the R2. Thanks again.
    "Light up the Darkness." - Bob Marley

Jay, thanks for the warning on using Primaries with the MC-E DBS. Good looking out for your customers, again thanks for your support!

Can anyone help me post pictures of my DBS v3 with anti-rolling ring attached to the battery extension tube? Unless this isn't really the place for it, Jay?

Unenlightened

Canuke. Unless your user manual is different than mine, it states which direction to put the batteries in the same sentence that states you will "fried" the driver. It is the first section after the congratulations on your purchase under Tips. The bold printed part of the sentence reads, "important, positive of the battery or batteries towards the head, reverse battery will fried the driver."

Not picking at ya, just wanted to point out that the info is there where it should be. Wouldn't hurt for "fried" to be changed though. Lol!

Flashaholic*

Can anyone help me post pictures of my DBS v3 with anti-rolling ring attached to the battery extension tube? Unless this isn't really the place for it, Jay?
    I use Imageshack.us for my picture hosting. After I upload the photo to them, it gives me a link that I just copy and paste into my posts here... putting the photo/s in the post. If you want to send me the photo, I can do it for you.

Flashaholic*

Canuke: Thanks for the feedback and compliments! That's funny about the police helicopter... maybe they were jealous!

Pabs D and Sector7: You're welcome!