PK Design Lab
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Good, cheap coffee beans?

Does anybody know of some good, cheap coffee beans? These same old same old grounds is getting old, but beans are always so expensive!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Good, cheap coffee beans?

I like the "Eight O'Clock" brand. My local Kroger store sells them, other grocery stores should have them as well. In my area, they are selling for around $4 per pound.

Flashaholic*

Go for great coffee, already roast or green bean.
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.roasted.html

I've heard of people roasting their own at home with popcorn air poppers. Folgers in the gallon can is always a crowd pleaser.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by carbine15 View Post
    I've heard of people roasting their own at home with popcorn air poppers...
    It's good for starters. After that, you'll be looking for more efficient and consistent ways to roast. I started out that way. After two weeks, I bought a proper roaster. I've never looked back since. Roasting your own is the best way to assure yourself of the highest quality, freshest coffee.

Sweetmarias is a good resource to start if you want to research the topic.

*The Arctic Moderator*
    Retired

glockboy indeed knows what he's talking about!!!
    -"Must control self"-

Abraham Lincoln one said -

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee."

He meant that good coffee is never cheap. Period.

With that in mind:

http://killerbeans.com/site/home.html

You will not be sorry.
    In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter?

Let me just say that, I've drank Speedway coffee for years without an issues. Then this past year one of my co-workers had the proverbial hook up on starbucks, so we've been getting 5lb bags of beans for cheap.... and now I'm spoiled

But I am definately NOT prepared to spend $60 for 5 lbs! ...would be nice, I'm sure!

trick is definitely to have a good friend who works for starbucks. My wife has a good friend who works there part time. She gets more free coffee beans than she cares to use, so we get a lot of extra bags.

I don't know much about coffee, but I'm of the understanding that starbucks, even thought they are an overpriced joint selling a name these days, does actually have very decent quality beans.

I wouldn't know, the only reason I put coffee in the cup is that people look at you weird if you drink a cup of cream and sugar

Eric
    The Lithium Ion Incandescent Guide and Compatibility chart

Chunky Two-potato Clam Chowder Coffee Smoothie Oyster Cracker.

Flashaholic*

go to Sams wholesale... they've always got a good selection of beans... not cheap, but not real high either.

best to buy green and roast your own...

Flashaholic

I buy mine from a local roaster but if you cannot find one locally that sells for a sane price then feel free to order from mine.

Much cheaper than the links provided ealier and I can vouch for the quality. I think most of the beans are pretty similar, its the roast and the freshness that matters.
    So why spend 10 bucks a pound? I just don;t see the reason. Oh yeah starbucks beans are stale from the time you buy them. Freshness is key.

http://www.lolasavannah.com/

You can get some of the best, freshest green coffee beans in the world for $5-6 per pound at www.sweetmarias.com which will keep for several years.

Home roasting the green beans is as simple as making a pot of coffee. There is no comparison to the quality of fresh-roasted coffee using quality beans.

Here is where I like to buy my coffee. I like their Espresso Roast for making espresso, Vienna Roast for stovetop espresso/mocha pot, and Sumatra Mandheling for mocha pot or vac pot.

And while you have gotten some good advice, there is another point to consider when comparing the costs of buying green beans and roasting them yourself vs. buying them freshly roasted. Green coffee beans will lose about 20% of their weight during roasting. And roasting produces chaff and smoke/odors that while probably enjoyable in the garage, would likely have a low wife acceptance factor in the kitchen.

I learned about buying green beans and roasting probably from one of these guys above on a gun forum, of all places!! I've been doing it for about two years now.

Quote Originally Posted by CM View Post
    After two weeks, I bought a proper roaster.
    What roaster are you using? I'm still on the Fresh Roast Plus 8 and I'm ready to move up. However, it seems that the next step is HUGE in price!!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Wattnot View Post
    What roaster are you using? I'm still on the Fresh Roast Plus 8 and I'm ready to move up. However, it seems that the next step is HUGE in price!!
    I bought a fresh roast starter pack. You can get them from here:

http://www.coffeebeancorral.com/Prod...x?productid=FR

or here:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.freshroast.shtml

After 7 years of service and still working I moved up to an I-roast II which is more $$ but can roast more. Still highly recommend the fresh roast as a starter. It is true that your initial cost is higher since you're paying for the roaster but you'll end up paying for the roaster after a year compared to buying *premium* roasted coffee. And you'll be making roasted beans that surpass what any starbucks can offer in terms of freshness, quality, and taste.

Flashaholic*

First, a bio: I've been into coffee for 35 years now, tried all types of coffees from all around the world, and tried all types of brewing methods to find my favorite. Past 10 years now, my favorite drink is my own cappuccino. My first espresso maker was a hand crank, my current is a $5,000 commercial machine (single group) that I had plumbed in.

One of the truly great espresso blends I found was roasted by

Inter-Continental Imports Co Inc

149 Louis St, Newington, CT 06111-4517 (Map)
    Phone: (860) 665-1101 .

If you use a lot of coffee, I would recommend them. Their espresso was such a rich, flavorful and balanced blend I'm sure they must offer some wonderful drip coffees. The only catch is minimum purchase is I think 3 lbs, but the price was very reasonable.

Let me know if you try anything from them. I would go with one of their heavier, rich coffees.
    Brass Dragonheart, JHanko D10 17trits, Ti Haiku, Ti Gatlight, 2400 lumen Megalennium 3xP7, SF III, Gotham XML w/optic, Extreme Micro, LedZep Aleph 1 aspheric, KuKu D10 & Volere, Mac 4xRebel Aleph1, MCE AlephIII w/optic, Milky KL3 4xXPG, FF III

Flashaholic*

Go for The Gene Cafe Drum Coffee Roaster.

I see we have a knowledgeable lot of caffeine addicts here.

Well I happen to be a huge fan of good espresso and my coffee monger just won roaster of the year!

KLATCHRoasting

The best espresso, bar none!

You can't go wrong with any of their selections and besides, the price of coffee is very competitive, so there's really no huge savings no matter who you decide to go with.
    @Buck, sorry bud but "good" and "cheap" are mutually exclusive when it comes to coffee (it's the same with tea too).

Flashaholic*

how's about a pic of that bad boy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    my current is a $5,000 commercial machine (single group) that I had plumbed in.

I'm taking a wild guess but somehow I pictured a La Marzocco when I read Gary's post.

..me, I just got a little ol' Expobar Brewtus II with Les Albjerg Ironwood handles, tampers and knock-box. Grinding duty is handled by a Mazzer Mini w/ the electronic doserless attachment. I can't imagine those "nuts" that spend more than that on making "just" a cup of coffee! !

Not my pics:

Last edited by Empath; 11-01-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Hotlinked images changed to links. Hotlinking is not permitted.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_Forces View Post
    ..me, I just got a little ol' Expobar Brewtus II with Les Albjerg Ironwood handles, tampers and knock-box.
    Are you familiar with the Expobar Office Control? I've had that for the past few years and like it. I was considering going to the Brewtus but $1615 bucks plus another $180 make it plumb-able . . . is it worth it?

Are you familiar with the Expobar Office Control? I've had that for the past few years and like it. I was considering going to the Brewtus but $1615 bucks plus another $180 make it plumb-able . . . is it worth it?

No first hand experience with that unit but I just looked at it.

Here's my take on it.
    It's all about the end user.
    How discriminating is the coffee drinker?
    What lengths do you go through to find that perfect blend/roast?
    How much time and effort do you put into "making a cup of coffee"?
    What volume of shots vs. latte drinks are you preparing?
    If you are using this unit on a daily basis the plumbing option is a no brainer!

You're very likely well suited with the Office Control unless the questions I've posed above leave you wanting. With the Brewtus I have the ability to fine tune my temperature to .tenths of a degree. The temperature control is paramount to a perfectly pulled shot and varies with the bean. I can also churn out 20 cappuccinos back to back with no problem. The Brewtus is very versatile and caters perfectly to the needs of an espresso aficionado that doesn't want/need to step up to a full blown commercial unit. It's really the best of both worlds which is why I went with it. Hope this helps a little.

Later...
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_Forces View Post

Well I happen to be a huge fan of good espresso and my coffee monger just won roaster of the year!

KLATCHRoasting

The best espresso, bar none!
    Tough to say what espresso blend is best, or a great one. There are different "styles" of blends. A blend could get rave reviews but you may not like the style. One experts choice may not be to your liking. One award may not cut it either. The blends I prefer have a decidedly choclately character. When the draw is hit right, my cappucino or late tastes like a chocolate milk shake. Some blends have none of that chocolate flavor but rather this particular sort of spiciness I find in espressos. I don't care for this. One local espresso shop was presented an award by a prestigious magazine as making the best espresso in Washington DC. It was that spicey flavor and I didn't care for it.

There is one particular roaster in Washington State, Batdorf and Bronson, that make a superb chocolaty blend. They have won numerous national awards for their blend - Dancing Goats. Not just one or two awards, but numerous. Even won first place in a Starbuck's Seattle tasting of acclaimed blends (their own blend didn't even make the top 10). I stopped buying it because I only purchase small quantities and with shipping it just didn't make sense since a local blend was almost as good. For me, 10 days after roasting, much of the magic is gone (although the expresso can still be pretty good).
    Brass Dragonheart, JHanko D10 17trits, Ti Haiku, Ti Gatlight, 2400 lumen Megalennium 3xP7, SF III, Gotham XML w/optic, Extreme Micro, LedZep Aleph 1 aspheric, KuKu D10 & Volere, Mac 4xRebel Aleph1, MCE AlephIII w/optic, Milky KL3 4xXPG, FF III

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cbdudley View Post
    I like the "Eight O'Clock" brand. My local Kroger store sells them, other grocery stores should have them as well. In my area, they are selling for around $4 per pound.
    +1, these are great. I drive out of my way to my local Kroger to get a bag.

Flashaholic*

If you have a Costco near you I have had very good luck with the "Seattle Mountain Coffee". They are 100% Arabica whole bean, 2.5 lbs bags. I like the Colombia Supremo best. It is less than $4 a pound and it is pretty solid stuff. Also Mayorga is a pretty good value IMO.

Flashaholic*

I've always been a big fan of the special "Waffle House" blend...

Not sure if they sell it in bulk, though

*The Arctic Moderator*
    Retired

Gotta agree KEW...Costco is preventing me from roasting my own at home! They have a decent selection, lately I've been drinking their Sumatra variety.

Still have to say that some of the best I've tasted came from glockboy though!
    -"Must control self"-

ahh, so many good replies! So far laziness has prevailed on my part, though... Folgers is get'n the job done... for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigman View Post
    Gotta agree KEW...Costco is preventing me from roasting my own at home! They have a decent selection, lately I've been drinking their Sumatra variety.

Still have to say that some of the best I've tasted came from glockboy though!
    Does this Sumatra compare to the Starbucks Sumatra? I love a bold, full bodied coffee, but have a hard time finding it to my liking.
    Until further notice, I am not accepting new mod requests.

*The Arctic Moderator*
    Retired

I don't typically go to Starbucks, so I can't answer that one...I imagine Starbucks is selling one cup of their brew for 1/2 of what I'm paying for 2.5 lbs of fresh roasted beans at Costco?

2.5 lbs at our Costco is $9...what's a cup of joe at SB?
    -"Must control self"-