4 Sevens
    Flashaholic*

Default How long will the USPS hold a package? Annoyed with buyer

I sent a fairly pricy light to a buyer, and USPS attempted to deliver Saturday (it's now Tuesday night). So far it's just sitting at the PO apparently, which is rather annoying. I want to know it got there, it works and the deal is closed. But so far no reply from the buyer either via email or PM! I'm not going to be happy if it bounces back, and I'm not going to want to refund his money if it does. I for sure am not going to eat shipping costs to re-send it. Advice?
    NRA Life Member since 1979

Default Re: How long will the USPS hold a package? Annoyed with buyer

That happened to me recently and I sent the recipient a heads-up and said, "Hey...you ought to get to the PO before they send it back so you don't have to pay to have it reshipped back to you." Or something to that effect. But maybe a little less direct...but it worked and the guy was happy.

JM-99

I'm not a long time poster here, but I have been around Bladeforums for some time. I think USPS will hold on to it for about a week before it ships back.

Did you send it First Class or Priority? I'm assuming Priority since they didn't just leave the light. I won't ship with USPS any other way than Priority/Insured/Delivery Confirmation. I've been surprised here at CPF to see how many of my purchased lights arrived First Class.

I would be frustrated too but cautious until I heard from the buyer. Life gets in the way and some tragedy may have struck their household.

My opinion only but I would feel, if it bounces back to your address, one is left with only two options.

1) Refund money minus your actual shipping costs.
    2) Resend if they send additional funds for a second shipment.

Sorry to hear... it would be frustrating.

When I get things mailed that require signature they usually have to wait until the weekends to get picked up by me because they are only open to 5pm weekdays and I don't get home until 6pm or so usually. So maybe that is the problem. You can sign the form they leave to allow them to just leave it at your door, but maybe that is not something that is a good idea...depends on where you live I guess.

Lots of things could have happened...I'd just wait a bit after sending a friendly reminder to the buyer. Nothing else you can do really.
    Cheers, Chris

Flashaholic*

OK, looks like it got delivered yesterday night (my time). Sheesh - I have too many things stressing me out right now. I just didn't need another! Thanks.
    NRA Life Member since 1979

Flashaholic*

I was a buyer once and had been waiting about 3 weeks for a package and finally asked the buyer if he had any tracking info. When he gave it to me, it turns out it had been sitting at the post office waiting for pickup for 2 of those weeks. I never got a "attempted delivery" notice. Sometimes USPS just drops the ball. Sometimes the postman is lazy. I've watched him drive up, put my mail in the box, and drive off before I can get my shoes on to go meet him. Then, when I grab the mail, there's an "attempted delivery" notice even though I know he did no such thing.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DonShock View Post
    I was a buyer once and had been waiting about 3 weeks for a package and finally asked the buyer if he had any tracking info. When he gave it to me, it turns out it had been sitting at the post office waiting for pickup for 2 of those weeks. I never got a "attempted delivery" notice. Sometimes USPS just drops the ball. Sometimes the postman is lazy. I've watched him drive up, put my mail in the box, and drive off before I can get my shoes on to go meet him. Then, when I grab the mail, there's an "attempted delivery" notice even though I know he did no such thing.
    I had the same thing happen. I was waiting for a package and didn't get outside before the truck drove off. There was an attempted delivery thingy in my box. I drove down to the end of the street and found her and asked what happened. She said she didn't think anyone was home. I asked what she thought about the two cars sitting in plain view in the driveway - no answer.

in my humble experiences i have found it profitable to get to know my post man at a personal level. if i know i have something coming, i just alert him when i see him and he makes sure i get it...not held at the p.o.
    he has also been great for making sure things from China (registered post) get in my hands, or at least my lockable street box...one of the reasons i request USPS over any other delivery service.
    brand fedex and brand brown always leave it on my porch (not SECURE by any means) or i have to travel 15 mi to get it after they leave a note...hummm usps for me thanks

at.

I use the post office a lot but being 60 miles from town it takes me up to a week sometimes to get my packages.
    コイン矢の如し

A package will be held 15 days from the first delivery attempt. You should get a notice when the package is attempted and a reminder notice five days later. If you know you are going to be home the next day you can call and request redelivery. Otherwise it will be at the PO for pickup.