Fenix Outfitters
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Unenlightened

Default Re: Anyone here write with fountain pens?

Namiki Vanishing Point - so smooth and easy to use; but my everyday is Pilot Varsity (med).

Unenlightened

I use the Lamy 2000. Love the gold nib, and the modern design. And the understatement!

Unenlightened

i use a lamy 2000 on a daily basis and i love the pen. Im itching to pick up a pelican though.

Unenlightened

As a lefty I used to end up with a inked palm and smeared writing. During my masters I found some classes so unbearable that to stay awake I took notes with my non-dominant right hand, and I'm now more-or-less ambidextrous for writing. I should give fountain pens another look.

Enlightened

Have had a few, they either walked off or were lost like contact lenses. Beautiful, wonderful, special, just got tired of mourning the loss, write w/cheapo Pentel rolling-ball pens now, sad really.

Unenlightened

I used fountain pens for a long time.. still have some around in the boxes !

Unenlightened

Nothing quite like using a fountain pen. That slight scratch as you write, watching the ink get laid down on the paper. The way it slows you down and makes you pay attention to your writing...

...Hmmm I might have to resurrect my Parkers and clean them up and start using them again.

Thanks for this thread,
    ThumperACC

I routinely use them/EDC them. Not only are they best for copious note takers like me, I've also found a side benefit - I found that if you push down firmly when you write (as I do), a nib's extra little "give" saves me sore knuckles at the end of the day.

Mine include:

Parker (several types)
    Pelikan (several types)
    Waterman (Carene and Phileas)
    Mont Blanc 49 (no problems like others have reported)

While going through my old pen collection I found a fountain pen that was given to me by my first employer around 1992 or 1993.

All I know about it is that it takes ink cartridges and the nib has "Iridium Point W-Germany" on it.

It's the bottom one of these (the top one in the wood box uses Cross ballpoint refills).

Last edited by Black Rose; 11-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Unenlightened

We have a Bexley Intrepid collection in blue shimmer. The problem with getting a nice ballpoint pen is this - it makes you want an even NICER one! This thread makes my little Bexley feel inadequate...heh.

Ok... You guys have got me interested. I LOVE pens. I seem to collect all kinds of pens, with four coffee mugs full of pens on my desk right now. All interesting, all in good working order.

But you hit the nail on the head with fountain pens. I used them for a while a LONG time ago back in college. I bought a British Airways fountain pen and rollerball pen set made by Colibri while I was on a British Airways flight to England in 1993. I used the fountain pen extensively, using up both the ink cartridges it came with. It also has the cartridge that you can twist the back of it to fill it with an inkwell. I always loved how it felt to write with it. It made me WANT to write. I still have it (in front of me on me desk right now) but I haven't written with it since the refills ran out. I never tried using the refiller cartridge with an inkwell.

It is the only fountain pen I have owned and used, but I really would like to use a current version FP which I can use every day. I write A LOT every day, and I would love to own one or two FP's that I could use, preferably with refill cartridges for on-the-go writing (I really do not want it to leak on my clothes). I wouldn't mind a premium quality ink/inkwell to use as well, though, for when I can relax and write more for leisure.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a really excellent quality FP that can stand up to a fair bit of writing by a beginner who hasn't written with one in many years? I have seen quite a few nice suggestions in this thread, but I don't know where to start. I don't mind paying for quality (I collect flashlights by Surefire, McGizmo, HDS, MilkySpit, FM, etc...), but I have no idea what I should buy.

Any suggestions for a beginner Fountain Pen user? (Sorry if this disrupts the flow of the thread, I don't mean for it to.)

Edit: I just bought a Lamy Safari Vista FP Demonstrator Clear with Fine nib, a Lamy Safari converter, and some Noodlers Polar Blue bottled ink. I use blue exclusively at work and I am REALLY excited to try out this fountain pen!
    Last edited by socom1970; 12-16-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Looking for a Malkoff Ti VME head.

Unenlightened

the lamys receive high praise at fountainpennetwork.

i always suggest the pilot knight as a great "starter pen." sturdy (and interestingly shaped) nib. aerometric convertor. nice heft.

a pilot/namiki vanishing point is another pen to consider. the nib isn't as robust as the knight's, but it is a clicky fountain pen.

you could also go vintage and get an esterbook j with a 15xx nib. the 15s are steel, durable, and easily replaced. you can usually find reconditioned models for less than $50. the last two i bought were $10 & $25.

I use everyday a Pelikan M800 Souveran in green striped resin, with english Diamine ink in Prussian Blue.

My little collection counts:
    Mont Blanc: 234, 344, 14, Meisterstuck 144
    Omas: Extra 1930
    Shaeffer: Legacy 2 in gun metal finish, PFM
    Parker: Big Red, Vacumatic Emerald Pearl
    Waterman: 42 18KT gold overlay, 42 Black rubber (x2), 52 18KT gold overlay, 52 1/2 18KT gold overlay
    Pelikan: 400 in white tortoise, 400 in green stripes, 140 in green stripes (x2)

and some others!

Unenlightened

I have a couple of Waterman fountain pens. I almost exclusively use them for crossword puzzles. It's about the only activity I do that involves writing.

Anybody here pick up one of the Noodler's flex pens that were just released? I managed to snag a poltergeist pumpkin...
    In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter?

Been using this Arbutus for about ten years now....

Unenlightened

the best fountain pen I ever bought is the Pelikan Souveran, my personal taste is writing with broad nib, so I got in it the BBB gold nib, writes like a fiber pen, the thing slides smoothly on every kind of paper, which is a pleasure; on the other hand the BB nibs in my Montblancs dont behave well, the flow of ink keeps stopping and no matter which make if ink I use-Lamy, a less expensive make is also smooth but IMO its too light and you dont feel "quality"in your hand-

Unenlightened

I have a wood fountain pen. I love pens, and this one in particular, but I write so rarely that It's usually dry if I think to use it. It uses Mont Blanc refills which is nice, but as it stands, it's just a nice part of my pen collection.

Unenlightened

I do but I don't own anything fancy. I have two matching sets of Parker italic pens with various nib sizes, one at home and one in the office. I try to use them as regularly, particularly as I realised that in our computer age, I may write hundreds of documents, but they almost never involve paper. The most I physically write in a normal working day is a few Post-It notes.

When I was in primary school (age 5-11) we were taught to use italic from the start. It was a convent school run by nuns who had a real passion for penmanship. They even had special italic chalk for writing on the boards. I've never seen such chalk before or since, but it did make reading what was on the board so easy because they took care to write properly. When I moved to secondary school (age 11-18), I struggled to read what was put on the board by 'civilian' teachers who had no regard for clarity and just scrawled at speed with regular sticks of chalk. In later years I forgot about fountain and italic pens, but one day I wanted to do something special for my Christmas cards, so I went back to the small stationery shop I used as a school kid for my italic nibs, and bought a William Mitchell square cut pressed steel italic dipping set. It took me right back to my school days, although this time there were no unidentifiable lumps of goo in the inkwells! I kept up with it every Christmas and birthday since then, and while the speed of multiple colour changes offered by the easy to wash dipping variety was attractive, they were not as practical day to day as the cartridge variety. So, I bought the Parker sets and try to use those as much as possible. Writing by hand is a bit of a dying art amongst the computer generation, fountain pens doubly so.
    Last edited by Tomcat!; 08-23-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Fast fingers, slow keyboard!

Enlightened

I sometimes use fountain pens to write notes in school. The ink is too wide so I like its writing more when the ink is about to run out

I Sign all my paperwork with My fathers 1950 vintage MontBlanc Pen. My wife had it refurbished for me for Christmas last year. It makes me Smile every time I use it.
    I sign all the certificates (diplomas) I issue students with a left handed Lamy fountain pen. I am amazed at how many people have never seen a fountain pen being used.
    i guess I am a dinosaur.

Unenlightened

Default Anyone here write with fountain pens

In my opinion you have gone erroneous by.

Unenlightened

Default Re: Anyone here write with fountain pens

I am a big fan of fountain pens. The Lamy's have been pretty good work horses for me and they are cheap enough that I don't cry when I misplace or drop them. Being a klutz - I seem to do that a lot!

Unenlightened

I have a Waterman Opera that I carry for formal occasions, but I prefer flexnib pens. I have several of the Noodler's flexnibs. You can adjust them to feed the way you want, and I like the ability to vary the line width as I write. The nibs are not nearly as refined as the Waterman, but considering that they are $14 pens, they are great!

Unenlightened

That's all I use in school (except for mechanical pencils on homework). The writing is so much smoother on a fountain pen that I've gotten used to using them, and won't go back to Bics. I stopped collecting them a while ago, though, when I realized that flashlights and knives are much cheaper.

Enlightened

I used to in the past. Was an avid pen collector. Its a charm using the fountain pens. My favs were parker and hero (chinese made).

Enlightened

I EDC a Twisbi Diamond 540. It's a piston fill and nibs are interchangeable. Size is hand-filling without being too heavy, although it doesn't post, and that's unfortunate. Usually filled with Noodler's Bulletproof Black (creative, I know).

I am left-handed, so that's a no. Tried it as it has a lot o charm I think, but I always ended wiping the ink out of the text that I had just written.
    I use a rotring rapid pro, black pen, blue ink as that colour writes the smoothest.
    All we know is just history

i've always had a fascination with fountain pens ever since i was a kid and still do. as much as a prefer fine-tipped pens, the medium-tipped do tend to be smoother on most types of paper.

Unenlightened

I've used them a lot more years and years ago in school, but lately I've gotten back into them a bit and picked up the Namiki Vanishing Point fountain pen. Its a really great pen, but you have to get used to a few things: 1) the clip is on the end you will be holding at your fingertips, so that's uncomfortable for some, and 2) depending on the angle you write at (with the pen close/almost perpendicular to the paper, vs more vertical, if that makes sense) the nibs can be a little glitchy on the paper. That's also due to the nib you get (if you get Japanese-made nibs, they tend to be much more precisely made, and smaller, so a medium non-JP would be a large JP), which also means they flow ink a little bit less (without leaking or being dry), but that also ends up making them scratch slightly on some paper (not the point of ripping the paper, but not as smooth as a ballpoint at times).

Anyway, its always best if you can write with a pen you want to buy before you do, because it really is about how it feels in your hand, the weight of it, how it flows over paper, etc.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast